2.

'You're talking a lot but not saying anything'

*

Green eyes. Very, very green eyes are quietly stealing glances from me in this very store. I instantly knew who it was when he stepped through the door; the man from last night, the one that waved across the street.

Part of me should be terrified, it was a weird instance, and now he was stood in the store while I'm alone. Cathy was successful last night and had only just got home to her kid, told me that it was just me in work today and I could close whenever I wanted. Which is all good and fair, except the store may never close because this man may murder me.

He was inspecting some rings on display at the other counter, delicately trailing his fingers along the glass, flicking his eyes towards me every now and again to make sure I was still watching. Of course, I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. Now that he's in daylight, I can make out more of his features and my god is he gorgeous. Perhaps the most handsome man I've seen. Cathy will be jealous that she isn't in.

I'm cleaning the desk I'm stood behind; earlier this morning a mum and her child came in and left crumbs behind. I like kids, I really do, just not when they make a mess. I'd have to hoover the carpet after. We always had to uphold the image of class in this business. The presence of hobnobs crumbs does not reflect that.

I decided I had to talk to him. The tension in the room was too much, we just kept looking at each other in complete silence. I needed to hear his voice, to see if it matched the appearance. I desperately hope it does.

This is one of the perks of working in this industry. Lots of attractive rich men. I'd been asked on plenty of dates while working here, but I'd had to turn all of them down because of Joe. Part of me was hoping this man would ask that fateful question so I could say yes for the first time ever.

I put the cloth away, standing up straight and turning to him. 'Can I help you with anything, sir?'

A faint smile landed on his lips, curling at the corners. He slowly started making his way towards me, his fingers still brushing along the surface. It was like he was teasing me. 'I'd like to see the most expensive diamond you own?' His voice is deep, a slight northern accent to it. A perfect match.

His question caught me off guard. It was very forward. Most men that came into this store would ask for it but never actually buy it because they couldn't afford it. There's only so much wealth a man can flaunt. But this man looked like he could afford whatever he wanted. I could tell.

Our most expensive diamond was placed in an engagement ring with a platinum band, a giant stone shaped as a rectangle. It's 33.19 carats, and a direct twin of the ring Richard Burton used to propose to Elizabeth Taylor in 1968. A truly iconic stone. It's incredibly heavy too; I always wondered how Taylor managed to keep it on her finger without getting cramp.