015

at the base...

Her unit had only been back at the base for an hour

Her unit had only been back at the base for an hour. She was sitting with her team in the mess hall, lazily picking at the skin of a fruit she'd never seen before.

"So," Emily began, "How was your encounter with Commander Skywalker?"

"Which one?" Avery replied without thinking.

"Which one?" Gredge exclaimed, leaning in closer to the girls sitting opposite from him.

"Never mind. I don't feel like discussing it."

"Come on, Avery," the other girl whined.

"Don't piss me off, Emily," she snapped, gripping the fruit in her hand a little harder than she meant to.

"Avery," Mitchell warned, trying to dissolve the tension that was forming between his two friends.

"What? When I say I don't want to talk about something, I mean it. Besides, it isn't my job to entertain whatever obsession you people have with Luke."

Emily, however, seemed unbothered by the other girl's comments, and instead began giggling quietly to herself.

"What?" Avery hissed.

"Just look."

Avery turned her head to see Luke's droid, Threepio, shuffling toward where they were sitting. She buried her face in her hands and let out a dramatic groan, Emily's amusement growing with every passing second.

"Avery Adams!" the droid called out, clearly incapable of picking up on social cues.

She sighed and sat up, offering him her best smile.

"Miss Adams, Master Luke has asked me to deliver this letter to you. He requests that you read it immediately."

She snatched the paper from his stiff hand and dismissed him, opening it with little grace.

"I can't read this," she whined, her mind unable to decipher any of the strange markings scribbled across the page.

"You can't read Basic? That's literally what you speak," Gredge pointed out.

"Where I'm from, we don't use this alphabet."

"Wait, where are you from?" he asked.

Before he could press further, Emily took the paper from Avery's hands and began reading it.

"'Dear Avery,'" she said in the deepest voice she could manage.

"Oh, please. Commander Skywalker does not sound like that," Gredge told her.

"Have you even heard him speak, Gredge?" Mitchell challenged.

"Yeah, we all heard him speak when he was worrying over Avery last week—"