Chapter 38

Kai's POV

Lucas rolled over, burying his face into my chest, his arm flying over my naked waist and his leg resting on top of mine. His eyes were shut and his thick, brown lashes created a shadow on his cheeks. The sun peeked through the thin curtain covering the window, illuminating our room with the morning's natural light.

I chuckled lightly and wrapped my arm around the sleeping boy. His fluffy brown hair was a complete mess and tickled the bottom of my chin. I softly brushed my hands through his hair, giving him a little massage.

A small groan escaped his lips as he pulled me even closer, "What time is it?"

"Only 10:30," I replied quietly.

"Hmm," he mumbled. "How long have you been up?"

"Since 6 o'clock."

Lucas snapped his head up, sending my arm flying off of him as he moved into a sitting position, the blanket sliding off of his torso, "What? You've been up for four and a half hours!? What have you been doing?"

"Well, I watched you sleep a bit, and then I went on my phone," I explained. "Looks like Charlotte's location hasn't changed, I texted her to see if she was okay, but I'm not sure she'll check it."

"If she's still at home that's fine, I think," Lucas quirked his mouth to the side and nodded his head.

"Maybe, I don't know," I sighed. "I told her not to take her phone out in case my dad takes her somewhere, but there's a chance one of her parents found her phone. There's also a chance that my dad won't take her anywhere and just keep her at their house. I won't really be able to tell if anything's up until tomorrow when she is supposed to go to school."

Lucas bit his lip, deep in thought, "There's only so much you can do. I can also text Carter if you want?"

"Carter?" I asked.

"Yeah, that cop from yesterday. Remember? The one with black hair, kinda skinny."

"Oh, right. Sure, that'd be great," I gave him a small, appreciative smile, but then something suddenly caught my eyes, "Oh shit."

"What?" Lucas furrowed his brows in confusion.

I carefully reached my hand out, brushing it over his neck, "There's a bruise, sorry..."

"Oh," Lucas' hand flew to his neck, rubbing the sides. "It doesn't hurt, it's fine," he reassured me.

"But there's a mark," I exclaimed, guilt written all over my face.

"They'll fade. Plus, last night was fun."

"We'll have to think of some other things too because I don't really like seeing you all banged up," I frowned, grabbing his wrists and inspecting the small bruises from the handcuffs.

"It's fine, seriously," Lucas whined as I pouted my lips.

I huffed, "Okay..."

Lucas removed his hands from my grasp and reached for his phone, probably texting that detective. I got up from the bed and grabbed some pajamas, slipping the black shorts over my underwear and a white Tokyo Ghoul tank top over my head.

I walked up to the long mirror on our closet door and did a once-over, scanning myself from head to toe. I fixed my hair a bit, combing my fingers through the front, my eyes then trailing down my arms and legs. There was no longer a reason to cover my scars in public... in a way it feels liberating.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a carton of eggs, setting them on the counter next to the stove and grabbing a non-stick pan from the bottom cabinet.