4.4 - Knee Deep in S.H.I.E.L.D Shit

It was dark now as Steve pulled up to the apartment complex on his motorcycle coming back from a long and quite difficult trip down memory lane after visiting the Museum that had the Captain America exhibit with the particularly painful memory of seeing his best friend Bucky Barnes' own small exhibit as well. His pain was only increased after he had gone to visit a fragile and much older Peggy Carter seeing the state she was in and the likelihood of not being able to see much more of her left him with only feeling - Heartbroken.

Once he'd parked, he took the stairs to his shared apartment with Y/N only to see his next door neighbour Kate come out with a basket full of Laundry talking to someone on the phone.

"I've gotta go, I'll take to you later. Alright love you bye." The short blonde woman said as she hung up the call before smiling sweetly at Steve who just stood there somewhat awkwardly. "My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac." She said dropping her phone on top of the pile of clothes.

"You know if you want, if you want you're welcome to use our machine

"You know if you want, if you want you're welcome to use our machine. I'm sure it's cheaper than the one in the basement " Steve awkwardly offered.

She smiled and tilted her slightly with intrigue "Oh yeah, what's it cost?" She flirtatiously teased.

Steve coolly shrugged his shoulders "A cup of coffee." He proposed to the young blonde woman.

Kate giggled a little "I'm sure that Y/N will be pleased to hear you say that." She said poking fun at her neighbour.

Steve nervously chuckled, looking down at the floor in embarrassment "What's he been saying?"

Kate leaned against the entrance to her apartment with her laundry still tight in her grasp "Well, he was shamelessly flirting with me at first." Steve wasn't surprised in the slightest especially given how pretty their neighbour was, she continued her explanation "Don't get me wrong, he's a very handsome man but, to put it as politely as possible, I can only handle him in small doses." Steve laughed at the truth in her words. "Afterwards, he's been trying to play matchmaker."

"Nothing of what you've just said surprises me in the slightest." The pair then shared a small laugh before the hallway went silent quickly becoming awkward, in a desperate attempt to alleviate the awkwardness, Steve pointed towards his apartment "So, the machine?"

Kate stood up straight from her foot leaning and regretfully said "Thanks but I've already got a load in downstairs" she then leaned in and whispered "Plus I've just finished a round in the infectious disease ward."

Steve jokingly stepped back and put his hands up in the air and gave her a big beaming smile "I'll keep my distance."

"Hopefully not too far." She added almost instantly, she then made her way to the stairs "Bye Steve" she waved.

Steve just put his hand in the air, in line with his face "Bye Kate." She headed down the stairs as he pulled out his keys when he approached the door he heard 'It's Been A Long Long Day' an old song playing from inside.