• 140 •

Shin dashed into the alleyway, hesitating for a second before he procured something inside his pocket. 

It was his own paintbrush, the only belonging he brought along. 

A second later, he twisted the tip of the paintbrush, revealing a hidden cap. Underneath the cap, the paintbrush had been sharpened like a knife. 

"No, please! Stop hitting him!"

"Still not planning to pay us back, huh?!"

“Yo-you...you are the ones who forced me to take it--” 

Shin picked up his pace, before he dropped and slid past the assailant's ankles, nicking him with his deadly paintbrush. 

The assailant immediately cried out in pain, crouching down to hold his ankle that bled profusely. 

Shin stood in front of the older couple protectively, a cold glare in his eyes. 

The older couple were surprised by the presence of a scrawny, thirteen year old child.

"Who the fuck is this kid?"

"They adopted a child?"

"Who cares! Beat them all up!" 

The men charged at Shin and the victim who was still groaning in pain on the ground. The lover of the man caressed his face, utterly concerned before she glanced at Shin again. 

Shin clicked his tongue. 

What am I doing?

This isn't what I came here for. 

Not to save people, but to…

Shin felt a hand on his shoulder, making him turn. 

"You silly child, run! Don't get yourself involved in this, you'll get hurt!" 

Shin felt his resolute heart wavering. 

Once again, the image of the teary-eyed woman with a concerned expression was replaced by his mother. 

Shin gritted his teeth, holding his ground as he shook his head. 

"This time, I'll protect the both of you."

***

The four of them explored the streets, with Hana buying any delicacy she was curious to taste. In the end, her hands were filled to the brim with snacks and candies. K’xug let out a sigh, taking a bag from her hands, freeing up one of her hands to eat. 

They eventually stopped at a corner with a long bench, settling down. 

She brightened up like a little child, munching and squealing to herself about the taste of the local food. 

“Cecil, Cecil. Try this, they just cooked it!” Hana chirped. “It’s sweet, salty and soft! They go together so nicely!” 

“Alright, alright. You bought too much, it’s all going to fall out from your arms!” Cecil laughed, taking one box of food from her other hand. “Are you really going to eat them all?” 

“Mhmm!” 

“You really have a good appetite, Hana.” Cecil added, shaking her head. 

Hana giggled, moving the food in her hand closer to Cecil, picking it up with a toothpick. “Open your mouth, ahhh!” 

Cecil stared at food in Hana’s hands, it bore a resemblance to the food in her world called “takoyaki”. She opened her mouth, chewing on the food Hana offered to her and she immediately felt the hot air from the food flooding her mouth.