Chapter 2: Remembering the Good Times

CHAPTER 2:

Zelena's POV

The head of copper hair flashes past my eyes as my oldest friend averts his blue eyes elsewhere the second I glance his direction. "No one's ever going to date us. At least not Eli and I." Immediately, my fingers grasp the edges of the pillow behind my back and lift it over my head to chuck at Demetri. He fails to duck or move fast enough out of the way that it smacks into his side, landing on the floor with a soft thud. "Ow." He whines, tossing a lingering dirty look in my direction. I flash him a beaming smile, filled with pride at myself for the perfected aim before narrowing my eyes at him. "It was a compliment to you. Puberty hit you like a truck in the 7th grade."

Embarrassment at the slightest mention of my bodily growth spurt heats the flesh on my cheeks, surely coloring them to match the sweetest strawberries. "The pillow wasn't for your commentary on me. It was for the fact-"

"I am speaking the truth?" Demetri interrupts.

I swing my legs over the side of the Moskowitz couch, shaking my head in objection of his claim. "You are wrong." Press my lips together as they move to the left in thoughtful expression. "Mmm. Actually half wrong." The taller of the pair raises his eyebrow at me to further inquire about my examination of his statement. "Eli could snag a girl. You though, eh." My shoulders rise and fall nonchalantly while Demetri rolls his eyes. From the corner of my eye, I watch Eli's lips curl just the slightest upward at the corners in a concealed smile.

The light gray buffalo plaid pattern lies a few inches from the tips of my toes from the lack of momentum behind my newer friend of the pair's throw. "Oh, hi guys! Eli didn't tell me he was having friends over!" Mrs. Moskowitz places her hand upon my shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze in her motherly-like fashion. "You're always welcome, Zelena." She grins down at me, radiating her happiness for her son and including the other person in the room as her eyes meet her son's other friend. "You too, Demetri." He awkwardly waves in response to the dark haired woman.

Her hand slips off my shoulder as she leaves us to our discussion while she busies herself, most likely in the kitchen. "I mean sure, the entire class at Bellmount Middle School jeers and laughs at his lip which makes him a freak and I scream at the sight of bees and wasps, but sure- we can find girls." The sparkle dies in the blue irises' Eli once more averts away from me and a familiar midnight blue hue begins to mix with the sky blue. Demetri takes note of this and instead of being more sarcastic as I'd assumed he would be, he places his arm around Eli's shoulders and side hugs him. Eli shrinks further into himself by moving his shoulders slightly toward one another and leaning his chest further down to his knees. "I was over-exaggerating. There are girls just like us, awaiting us to walk by with our comic books and- I"

The copper haired boy only nods slowly, trying to process that enough times to believe in the words though somewhere deep down, I can tell he knows what a load of half-assed bullshit Demetri had spewed to him. My feet carry me from the love seat to the couch Eli had been sitting on this entire time. My body flops beside him on his left, slowly inching my hand toward his. His eyes follow my every moment even as my fingertips brush the back of his hand in the familiar way we've worked on perfecting since the first grade, to assist in calming him down during dire or emotion driven situations. My fingertips trace upward, yielding just below the tops of his knuckles and drawing three circles big enough to cover most of the surface area the back of his hand has to offer. They then glide up and lace with his fingers in security.

He exhales softly, nearly with an inaudible gasp as his eyes draw upward to meet mine. "I'm sorry. I should have kept my mouth shut, Eli." Demetri's voice is sincerely apologetic though and as my eyes move to look between them, I question how they really ever got along as opposite personalities. Demetri could and would talk all day and night continuously, if you allowed him. Whereas you could barely get Eli to make a peep if you paid him for it. Though he has his spur of the moment monologues I love to hear about. Where Demetri quivered and fainted in heart and sometimes mind; Eli flinched, but remained fairly postured and secretly strong in his heart.