Chapter 3: God's Plan

CHAPTER 3:

Zelena's POV

"Not necessarily. He didn't want anyone to die. Besides, Miguel showed mercy- gave in to make amends." My grandmother tries to ease my concern. The room breezes past me while I pace rather quickly from wall to wall of the room. "Zelena." She calls my name a few times in hopes to halt my actions, but I continue pacing. "Zelena! That is enough! What didn't happen was him falling. What did happen was you falling. Now you are here. And we have 4 hours and 59 minutes together. At the end, you can choose to remain or to go back. That's all that matters. Is us being together in the odd present." Her hands on my shoulders give a light squeeze before returning to her sides.

As odd as everything sounds, her lack of current concern makes sense. I always have had an issue with worrying myself over things I can't control. I take a deep breath and exhale to allow myself the moment to recollect. "Is there an art museum or ice cream shop here?"

My grandmother beams at me, offering her left elbow for me to wrap my arm around. "Right this way."

----------------------

When we arrive, people are scattered in small groups here and there but where I recall much less green in my world, it is bushels and trees of vibrant greens everywhere bringing to life the world of the dead. "Sherry!" My grandmother calls just as our feet cross the threshold to the smaller ice cream shop. A red haired woman turns on her heel from behind the counter I'd missed on account of oogling at the greenery. "Good afternoon!"

"Ah, Alice! What brings you in?" Her beautiful grey green eyes cross unto me and a smile graces her cherry red lips. "She is all grown up! It's nice to finally meet you, Zelena!"

"You know who I am?" The question slips out before I can even process that I want to say it.

Sherry tilts her head back and releases a harmonious laugh. "Of course I do. Alice never shuts up about her grandkids. Especially you. Also, I've seen the pictures littering her house." She presses her palms onto the counter and leans forward, narrowing her eyes as she searches my face. "You look a little young to already be here. You were healthy, active, not involved in any bad situations. What happened?"

"I was wondering if she and I could talk to you about that over some ice cream." My grandmother intervenes. Sherry falls back onto the balls of her feet and grins welcomingly. She gestures to the selection and comments that it's on the house.

I place a scoopful of the strawberry lemonade sherbet in my mouth, feeling it cool my tongue while it melts. "This tastes heavenly!"

The ironic exclamation earns a laugh as Sherry gestures with her hands to the place we are in. "That's kind of the idea, sweetheart!" She turns right down the hallway and into a room with a yellow door. Inside the walls are bright orange and pictures from all over the world are hung. "So what exactly did you want to discuss?"

"God has given her a gift of choice." My grandmother begins.

Sherry glances upward at us, her hand pausing as she had gone to reach something from her pocket. "You mean-" My grandmother nods firmly to halt any further commentary from her lips. Her eyes then move directly to me. "How did you kick the bucket? Well, more like tip it since you hang in the balance?" Sherry chuckles at her own choice of words and I grin at the sly use of words.

"Long story or short story? I can tell you exactly what or I can give you the parts leading up to the what." I seat myself in the navy blue chair directly across from Sherry who never once removes her gaze from me.

"I say the entire story. I know your time here is limited, but mine is not." My grandmother grabs my hand like she can sense the hesitation in telling the entire story though I had willingly offered seconds before.