Chapter 24: Prince Rui

"Yo, Y/N-chan are you okay?"

Y/N blinked in surprise once she came face to face with Rui.

"Oh- Rui. I'm fine."

"Really?" Rui narrowed his eyes playfully as if scrutinizing her. "Well, you look like someone stole your lunch though."

"Nothing of the sort happened." Y/N pouted and Rui laughed at this.

"Your expression tells otherwise. It looks like something is troubling you." Rui shot a sympathetic glance at Y/N. He then shifted the atmosphere to a light one.

"Like you are troubled that your lunch really got stolen. Reminds me of the first time we met each other."

Y/N rolled her eyes and Rui grinned with a peace sign.

Just like what Rui said, the two of them met when Y/N got pranked by their middle school classmates. Y/N's lunch was stolen and the girl was about to cry if it wasn't for Rui beating the crap out of the male pranksters.

Rui observed Y/N for some time. He saw Y/N being kind and helpful to others. Though the girl made a good reputation and a good number of people to admire her, Y/N chose to value her peace and not indulge much in growing popularity.

This caught Rui's attention and his interest towards Y/N grew. He concluded that Y/N is a good person and different from those fake and attention-seeking people

That's why, when some male classmates in their room played a prank on Y/N, he couldn't help but step in and defend Y/N. Since that day, he started communicating with Y/N and form a close friendship with her

"Yeah yeah. If that was the case, I wouldn't really worry." Y/N casually said. "You would just be here and save me. Right, Prince Rui?"

Rui slung her arm over Y/N's shoulder and pulled her close. He ruffled Y/N's hair while maintaing his tight hold.

"Hey, stop that!" whined Y/N

"Since when did you get cheeky, hah?" spoke Rui which made Y/N laugh. The latter managed to break free from Rui's hold.

"Geez, not my hair. But seriously, if that were to happen, I know that you would just save me."

Rui stared at Y/N who was busy fixing her hair. The latter was unaware of the warm smile which crossed Rui's face.

"Of course. Anything for you."

Rui sat back on the chair and faced Y/N.

"But seriously, if you have anything that troubles you, I'm sure you can find a way out of it somehow."

"I hope so." Y/N's gaze flitted to Nami who was busy scribbling down some notes. She sighed before looking away

"I know that sigh." Rui pointed accusingly at Y/N.

"What?"

"It's the sigh that says 'I'm hella stressed. Things are crazy' sigh."

Y/N looked at Rui weirdly but the boy just stared back firmly.

"You can't fool me, Y/N Aoi."

"All right. You got me. Now what?"

Rui feigned a thinking expression.

"If that's the case, you can take your mind off things at this weekend's Festival. You know, the part where people wear yukatas and watch fireworks."

"Oh, I nearly forgot about that." Y/N nodded in realization. The unexpected turns that recently happened made her forget about celebrations

"And since our tests are also coming up next week, it's a good diversion before we get really stressed." Rui said in finality. "I'm supposed to invite you to explore the festival but your highness doesn't invite gloomy and sad-looking people."

Y/N rolled her eyes at Rui's playful remark. She played along with the boy's words

"Of course. A commoner like me couldn't manage to hang out with the great prince Rui that easily."

- End of Chapter -