Chapter 4: Choice of the Worlds

CHAPTER 4:

Third Person POV

Choosing couldn't be this simple. Just close your eyes and sketch whatever your hand draws. Zelena's hand, however, is sketching quickly against the gifted sheet filling it with lines she felt didn't make sense but seemed right. Colors blurred together by sounds slide left and right, up and down, all in her head adding confusion to the mix of sorrow. No matter what she chose, even if her deepest part of her heart wanted it- she would lose other things in return.

A sob escapes her lips at the pestering thought. She would lose her grandmother all over again. Or she would lose her friends without even getting to say goodbye. Without getting to say she loved them. The deep red blindfold turns nearly black as it absorbs the tears rolling down her face. 'I can't do this. I can't make this decision. Why would he think this is a good idea?' But something magical happens. Zelena returns to her previous consideration- if she chooses staying here, she wouldn't get to say goodbye.

Her hand returns to creating lines she hopes makes sense and follows that line of thought. Robby would definitely go to jail for some sort of count of murder or negligence ending in homicide. And Miguel would most likely be scarred for life- well all of the student body who had seen her fly over and land would be scarred for life. Tory needed a friend. Sam needed a friend. Demetri, Chris, all of them flash in her head.

Or did they?

They asked for advice, but often never took it for complete value and chose to ignore it. Did it even make sense? 'Do I even really make a difference in their lives?' Both dojos argued repetitively because of bitterness- because of a high school rivalry from the 80s that affected and burned everything in its path. If I go back, can I even change that? What if something like this happens again?' Her body shudders in fear. Another student getting injured badly or worse just because no one knows how to talk shit out?

"Grandma! I know what I am doing!" Zelena shouts, dropping the pencil haphazardly somewhere in a rush while her fingers work to untie the knot at the back of her head to remove the blindfold. As soon as the red material falls from her eyes, she glances to the notepad barely balanced on the edge of her knees to find a bunch of graphite lines. However, she tilts her head and makes out two faces in the picture.

----------------------------------------------

Miguel's fingers tap rapidly against his phone's screen, which his grandmother had snuck out of his mother's purse while she went to inquire about the sudden rush of nurses towards Zelena's room. He holds it to his ear, pacing back and forth down the limited hallway space in front of the bathrooms. "Answer. Come on, Hawk."

"What?" There's evident anger burning in the answering voice. In the background, sounds of slapping against some sort of mats echo and grunts fill the silence.

"Hawk, you and Tory have to get down here." There's a hesitation on the other line and the more Miguel listens intently to the background, he can tell they are at the dojo. It's 5 PM, Sensei Lawerence had disappeared at the request of his mother and for all he knew, he was down there kicking their asses during training.

"We're busy." Rustling blurs the end of his words, but Miguel thinks quickly and says the truth.

His eyes peek around the corner in an attempt to see if there is any update. "Something's happening. I-I convinced my mom to bring me to the hospital to stay with Zel. They're only letting us stay and be here because my mom works here. But a bunch of nurses rushed down to her room right now. They aren't saying what's going on. Earlier the same thing happened, but her stats were rising and dropping like crazy. She needs us." A pair of nurses that had been part of the party rushing down toward Zelena walk past with less urgency and relief on their faces.