Chapter 4

We kissed for what felt like hours, then some people entered and interrupted us. I'm still so flustered and I can't lie, I enjoyed kissing him more than I imagined. I'm going to blame my courage on the gin I had, I would have never ruined our friendship awake.

Right?

He is so drunk... luckily we will have to talk about this tomorrow if he even remembers it.

I helped him lay down on a couch, so he can rest for a bit while I grab some snacks and water.

I can barely feel the alcohol anymore, I'm glad I didn't drink excessively.

Where is Nicole? Some people are still drinking and dancing. Others are playing truth or dare. Or how they call it: dares and extreme dares.

I'm amazed no one is dancing naked on the table, yet. It's barely 2 AM. We should be home in a bit... but I doubt that's going to happen, my parents were okay with me sleeping over.

As I pour some water into a cup, a girl appears right in front of me and I spill the water on her white tank top.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologize and I look at her, oh, it's the pretty curly-haired girl.

"Look where the fuck you are going, bitch," she snaps at me and shoves me with her shoulder while I stay there jarred.

What is wrong with her? It's just water.

"Don't worry about Shanice, she is a mean drunk." I turn around and a guy way taller than me is beaming. It's Derek.

"It's ok. This is why I don't even go to parties." I shrug. He has blue eyes, like me, but it suits him so much better.

"Really? They are fun. We have one every Friday or Saturday," he says as he looks around, scanning the room for something I'm unaware of.

"Oh, it's not really my thing," I say and then remember it's his birthday. "Happy birthday, by the way." I smile.

"Thanks, I'm just glad I can buy alcohol," he jokes says and I laugh.

Although I'm not sure it's much of a joke.

"If you wanna have fun we have some weed? Or cocaine, but I don't think you're that type," he offers and chuckles while I give him a weirded-out look.

"What? Cocaine? No." Why would he even ask me that? Do these people do coke? My parents would murder me if they knew I came here.

"It was just a joke, you barely look over seventeen years old." He seems bothered by my reaction as if I was judging them.

I roll my eyes and I walk to the fridge and grab another snack. I frankly don't want to be here, around these strange people. I should probably look for Nicole. She isn't emotionally safe near James.

I knock on every door, then I finally get to the last room, but no one replies so I just enter.

To my horror, I quickly realize there is a girl on top of a guy on the bed, their kissing is interrupted by me bursting in.

Oh my God.

The girl is Shanice—the mean drunk, half-naked on top of... James? He is touching her all over and they only stopped because I am still at the door.

Before I even think, I snap at him.

"You're an idiot, James. You keep playing with Nicole and you know she is a good person," I yell at him.

They both turn around and the girl is shocked while he just laughs. She stands up and puts the bra on and grabs a shirt.

"What's wrong with you? This is why I shouldn't even be fucking with some high school kids," she screams at him and pushes me again as she bursts out of the room. Wow, this girl is something else. Makes sense she is friends with Derek.

James comes towards me when he notices that she got extremely furious and grabs my wrist hard to the point it hurts.

"Who the fuck you think you are? Do you think I care about your little slutty friend?" He comes closer to my face and laughs then pushes me against the wall which makes me terrified of him. I have never seen him this way. I knew he was a jerk, but this is unbelievable. I have to warn Nicole... does he treat her the same way?!

"I- I am sorry, let me go, please," I beg him despite how weak and pathetic I feel, but I've never been treated this way and it terrifies me.

I see a figure in the corner of my eyes and I free my wrist from his hold when James gets distracted, but his body and other arm are still keeping me locked against the wall.

"James, let her go." Derek's tone is harsh and intimidating and James obeys.

James tries to walk away but Derek grabs him by the collar of his shirt and forcefully pulls it, the thin material of the shirt protruding through James' neck.

Between James and Derek, I think I'm more scared of Derek. He looks livid.

"Get the fuck out of my house," his voice is low but I can sense the anger behind his words. Derek is a few inches taller than James and his muscles are more visible even through the thick material of his black t-shirt.

James' jaw tightens and he completely loses his composure he previously had while attacking younger girls.

He lets go of his collar and shoves him out of the room.

Derek locks eyes with me for a few seconds before his face contorts. I don't know what to say or thinks. The previous shock is sinking in and I'm terrified of what he might do to Nicole. Would she even believe me?

I try to mutter a few words of gratitude but he interrupts me the second I open my mouth to speak.

"Don't flatter yourself. I just don't want any problems," his words are like daggers and they hurt me more than I want to admit.

I feel weak and lost, I don't know what to do next and I regret even coming here.

I'm never coming to this house again. These people are horrible. My eyes are on the verge of tears and I try to stop myself. I don't usually cry but this night has been a rollercoaster, God knows what James would have done to me. He is terrifying. I must protect Nicole, she needs to stay away from him.

Wait, where is she? I still can't find her. I will call a cab when I find her and hopefully, we can finally go home.

I find her in a random bathroom, she was puking the whole night. I gently hold her hair up as she throws up again. Her makeup is smudged and it looks like she was crying.

"Are you okay, Nicole? Do you want a glass of water?" I am so worried about her.

"I'm fine... just hug me please." I wrap my arms around her and I assure her she will be ok. She cries on my shoulder as I caress her arms.

"James' been screwing that girl, I saw him go with her in a room after they kissed." She cries harder as I try to comfort her. She already knows... I will tell her what he did to me tomorrow when she is sober and she doesn't feel as hopeless as she feels now. I don't want to hurt her more than she is already and I am sure this is the end of their 'relationship' now that she caught him.

——

Thank you soooo much for reading and please don't forget to vote and comment
Also, let me know what you think about the story!