Different View

Life had been everything Kuvira could have dreamed. It felt like she hadn't stopped smiling since her and Sukara had gotten engaged, being able to hold her close every night, waking up with her right next to her. It was something that she had missed while they had been apart, Sukara had always been like a human sized hot water bottle. She always kept herself at a warm temperature and it was Kuvira's favourite thing to have her snuggled into her chest.

Even though everything felt perfect, there was one thing that was playing on her mind. She hadn't been angry, or even questioned it that much, when Sukara stood on the mine to save Asami, but as she thought about it more, it occurred to her that Sukara had always been more than willing to put herself in between others and death.

"Are you awake?" Kuvira asked, turning her head to look over at Sukara as she lay with her arm and leg across her and her head rested on Kuvira's shoulder.

Sukara made a small noise and nodded her head. She didn't open her eye but Kuvira could tell that she was listening.

"Can I ask you something?" Kuvira asked, stroking the hair behind Sukara's, causing her to open her eyes and look at her, Sukara nodded again. "why do you risk so much?"

Sukara frowned, the apprehensive tone made her think that this wasn't actually Kuvira's question, "what is it you want to know?"

"It's just that... You risk your life a lot," Kuvira explained, "you don't seem scared or fazed when you do it. It just makes me worry about you."

"Oh, I'm sorry I worried you," Sukara told her, playing with the end of Kuvira's plait, "it's just that my idea of mortality is confused. My relationship with death is not like most people's, having lived for 20,031 years I've done a lot of stuff with my life, some good, quite a bit of bad. And I've felt guilty about that for a long time but, my life right now, it's everything I could ever want. I love in peace, with everything I am and am loved in return. So I'm not afraid to die but I'd rather not do it just yet."

"I'm glad you're happy now," Kuvira almost whispered into her hair before giving her a kiss on the head.

"Me too," Sukara smiled, closing her eyes again as she cuddled herself in closer to Kuvira.

With an arm looped underneath Sukara, Kuvira lifted her further on top of her. She was glad she woke her up for this, it had put her mind at rest and allowed her to hear what Sukara was feeling. Their problems before had been brought about my miscommunication, so hearing her speak so honestly and sincerely meant the world to Kuvira.