𝐂.16

the kegger

THE BONEYARD IS where the pogues and the touron decided to throw the kegger.

It was a gorgeous evening, the sun wasn't too hot but the water wasn't that cold. The dead and hollow beach wood logs reinvented themselves as seats for the bonfire. John B and Pope carried the 130-pound metal can and Kie carried its corresponding cup. JJ was on red solo cup duty and Martha was on garbage bag duty.

About six o'clock rolled around when loads of outer banks teenage civilians came to the shore. JJ and Martha hung out with the rest of the pogues, playing drinking games and telling hilarious stories. As Kiara was going on about astrology for the fifth time today, a buzzed JJ decided to explain to Martha about the ways of life.

"It's like this three-layer burrito. There's us and our friends, the working class derelicts from the cut. Then, as you know, there are the kooks, rich second-homers. Mostly from poncey-ass boarding schools, just rich trustafarian posers. Our natural enemies. And then there are the tourons. Totally clueless. here for a week on vacation with their families. Chum for the sharks."

Martha giggles, nodding her head along to the conversation. "Like, baby shark?" She reaches out with her arms and does the shark biting/ clapping motion of the song. "Do do do do do do doo"—

— "Mcfly, cut it out! I just got that song out of my head!" JJ laughs along with her, pushing down her arms.

"Sorry baby, it's just so catchy!! And why are you explaining this to me like I don't know already? I've come here every summer since I was little, I'm basically" —

— "A kook?"—

"Washed up chum."

"No, you're not! You're like an ocean's pearl or- or sea glass that keeps on returning to the beach! And even if you were washed up chum —which you're not— sharks cannot get enough of you." JJ points out, bopping her nose.

"Did you just call yourself a shark?" Martha leans in.

"Oh please, you like how I bite," he snarkily replies.

Both smile as they lean into a short and playful kiss. Their smiles continue to grow wider as they pull away from each other.

Martha leans in to go for another but she hears a concerned voice calling after his girlfriend. Sarah's name was being called.

"Sarah! Sarah, be careful, okay?"

Martha's face contorts into a puzzled state, allowing J to follow her gaze and look at what's troubling his girl. "Great, the kook princess is here, which means her brother is somewhere too." He whispers, his jaw ticks at the thought of the eldest Cameron.