IX - Tick Tock, Doctor

'Okay, I swear there were ten guys literally right there,' you finally say, after a good minute and a half of staring blankly into the centre of the hotel room.

'Well, either they were there, or we both imagined them,' the Doctor nods. Even he seemed to be puzzled by the sudden disappearance of the men.

'Where could they possibly have gone? We've been here the whole time. If they walked out or someone else walked in we would have noticed,'

The Doctor begins to scan the room meticulously, searching for any traces of transportation devices, or something else that could explain the sudden disappearance. You, however, do what you believe to be the most logical thing to do in this situation. Open the door, and see if there was anyone outside.

Almost to your surprise, you turn the door handle and find it to be locked. The wooden seal must have completely warped shut.

'Doctor?'

'Yes, [Y/N]?'

'Is the door supposed to be locked shut from the outside?'

He rushes over to the door and pulls on it aggressively, all while muttering under his breath. The muttering became louder as he stepped away from the door and began to shout. 

'No, no no! We can't be trapped in here, we need to be out there!' he yells in frustration. 'Not that you're not excellent company, [Y/N],'

'Of course not,' you smile. 'Hang on, can't you just sonic it?'

'What, the door?'

'Yes, of course the door.'

'No.'

'Why not?' you reply, folding your arms and sitting next to him on the bed.

'It doesn't do wood.'

'It doesn't do wood!' you say. 'That's so stupid,'

You giggle slightly, but the look on his face suggests that that was not the right response.

'Oi! Don't diss the sonic!'

'Oh, you'll do more than diss the sonic when you find out what's about to happen,'

An ominous voice over the hotel intercom echoed around the room and the Doctor stood quickly in response.

'Doctor, I hope this is a satisfactory challenge for you.' the voice continued. 'In case you haven't already gathered, this is Mr Skinner, and I will be your host for this evening!'

The way he made this sound like such a game must have scared you and the Doctor alike, although he seemed adamant to stay confident in the face of uncertainty. He clasps your hand and squeezes it gently, pulling you up from the bed so you're both standing confidently. He shoots you a small, reassuring smile and whispers to you quietly:

'Remember what I said. 'Sole concern'. You're going to be okay, whatever happens. I promise.'

'How touching,' Skinner says. 'Would you two kindly stop your own conversation and let me explain what's going to happen here?'

'By all means,' the Doctor replies, keeping his eyes on you.

'Your little clone friends had the right idea. Everything they told you was true, but there's a catch!'

'Of course there is,' you mutter.

'Somewhere in this hotel, you will find your clones. You have one hour to find them, and let them know that they are forgiven for their deepest regret. Which of course is yours.' he pauses for a second in a moment of twisted pride before continuing. 'But Doctor, I'm not completely evil. Your sleeping clones have simply been buried in the garden. You don't need to find them, they're as good as dead. You see the scanner never could comprehend you immortal types.'

'This doesn't seem too bad,' you whisper. 'I think we can do this,'

'Oh, silly me!' Skinner cackles. 'Did I forget to mention? There's one other thing you were wrong about. Your friends who came here with you, you know the pretty ginger one and the one that follows her? Yeah, they have clones too. You'll have to find them in the hour too, or I dread to think what will become of you.'

'There's something you're not telling us.' the Doctor replies. 'Something important. Am I right?'

'Let me see, clones, within the hour..' he checks off the points on some imaginary list.

'Oh, and after that hour, they all turn hostile. They'll kill you in ten seconds flat if they find you first,'

Unable to speak, you simply look up to the Doctor. You were more than a little bit scared for your life at this point. He squeezes your hand once again before mouthing:
'sole concern' and winking at you.

'Would you two stop flirting for ten minutes please?' the intercom rattled ominously. 'Tick tock, Doctor. Time is running out. You wouldn't want to run out of time and risk losing your friend here, would you?'

'Absolutely not.' the Doctor kept his gaze straight ahead as he spoke. You could tell he was serious.

'Then off you go, Doctor. You have 58 minutes to save yourselves. Go!' he laughs, almost mocking you. 

'Well then. Let's go hunt us down.'