Part 51

The day of James' trial came in a flash.

Maggie hesitantly came around to the thought of testifying after her talk with Natasha, but she still didn't feel ready. There was no way she could be. Not only did she have to relive the most traumatic moment of her life, she would have to face that man that broke her heart. The man that shaped her world, then left it in ruins.

She leaned over her sink, attempting to cover up yet another sleepless night with some heavy concealer. Putting on a mask over her eminent heartbroken exterior. Hoping no one would be able to read what was so clear behind her eyes if she packed on just enough makeup.

It was her third time trying to do her mascara. Stubborn tears, sneaking their way out of her eyes each time, making her have to start over. She inhaled deep through her nose, letting out a puff of carbon dioxide through parted lips to soothe her nerves as she took one last look in the mirror.

She brushed down her pencil skirt, readjusting the white turtleneck under her nude longline coat. Trying to look the part of someone that had their shit together, despite being at the absolute lowest she had ever felt.

Maggie's phone buzzed beside her with a text from Natasha saying she was outside. She quickly shot back an affirmative response and set off to find her purse. Passing by the pile of suitcases she had refused to acknowledge, she left her apartment.

Natasha and Steve were waiting in his car out front. Planning to head to the trial together, hoping it would lessen Maggie's anxieties about the day ahead.

"Thanks for picking me up guys." She exhaled as she hopped into the back seat, buckling her self in as Steve took off.

"No problem, tiny." He sighed, keeping his eyes on the road as he drove.

The air was cold. Windows fogged from the heat of the car. Maggie reached over, drawing a little sad face in the condensation, staring at it for a moment, before quickly wiping it away with her sleeve.

Her head leaned back against her seat as she started to think over her points she had to remember when speaking. Foster had coached her through it, going into detail about verbiage to be mindful of when speaking to the judge. Reminding her to keep emotion out of her responses the best she could and speak objectively to keep her sounding credible to the jury.

Steve pulled into the visitor parking lot and the three of them trekked their way over to the courthouse. Walking under the towering stone arches, into the lobby. People in suits were rushing past them, making their way to whatever important thing came next in their days. All of them with determined expressions. In this sea of ambition and planning, contained broken little Maggie. Head slumped down, trying to keep her sanity as she marched towards the impending doom of the trial.

While Steve parted from the ladies to find Foster, Maggie and Natasha made their way to the back waiting room until it was time for Maggie to step onto the floor. It was sure to be quite the wait, so they settled in. Sitting on two of the cushy tweed chairs.

Several awkward minutes passed, before Natasha turned to look at Maggie. "Thank you for agreeing to do this. It means the world to Steve."

Maggie gave her a silent nod.

Natasha frowned. "How are you feeling?"

She took a moment to respond, not even sure herself. It wasn't a good feeling that was sunk in her chest, but she didn't know if there was a word for it. Anxiety, fear, heartache, anger, exhaustion, concern, so she settled for— "Bad."

Natasha gave her a sorrowful nod. Scanning over her expression, trying to figure out how she could possibly help someone in the state she was living in. "Well, as soon as you give your testimony, we can leave. We're not going to wait for Steve. We can just take a cab back to my place."