25. Gum

Hamdan

I'm usually a man of my word but Layla, or more like how I feel about her, keeps making me bend and question every rule there is. I said I wasn't stopping by during her training sessions and I truly wasn't going to do it, but I haven't seen her in a long time. I had a visit to Dubai Media last week and she was nowhere to be found, I haven't been able to attend most of the family gatherings and she hasn't been there when I have managed to make it. This is my last chance to see her here at NAS, the Gov Games are this weekend and her team is wrapping up the training today, according to what the gym manager told me. Glancing at the clock in the car, I realize they must be done by now, so I'm kind of keeping my word, I'm just hoping I don't miss her. As we approach the building I see a group of girls on the steps by the entrance and I tell Saeed to slow down the car and stop behind some palm trees that sort of hide us

"Everything okay, sir?" Saeed wonders.

"Yeah." I mumble while trying to peek at the people by the door. "Just trying to see who they are."

One of the girls waves good-bye at the group and starts walking to her car. Now I can see a man with them, I'm almost certain that's her team but Layla is not with them.

"Should we call Jamal?" Saeed suggests.

"No." I reply. "This palm tree is blocking my view, can you see Layla's car over there somewhere?"

Saeed stretches his neck to look. "Yes, I see it, it's parked."

The rest of the group disperses and they start leaving one by one.

"Good." I tell Saeed. "Let's move to our usual spot."

Saeed ends up parking my car next to Layla's and I begin wondering where she is and why she wasn't with the rest. Jamal welcomes us as we make it through the door.

"I wasn't expecting you at this hour, sir." He tells me. "Early workout for today? Should we get the usual equipment ready?"

I shake my head while putting my phone in the pocket of my kandura. "It's okay, Jamal. I'm actually looking for Layla."

He lets out a small laugh. "Miss Roberts? She's in the pantry."

"The pantry? Seriously?" I reply with a smile.

Jamal nods. "She's been paying a few visits ever since she found out we had one."

I hear Saeed chuckle and turn my head to see him. "Can you believe her?"

Saeed shrugs. "Some things never change."

The pantry here is full of candy, cookies and chocolates. It doesn't make much sense but I decided to make one for my friends' children. We spend a lot of time here hanging out, it's not only a place to workout, and since the kids visit very often I like to spoil them with some candy, but now we have an intruder.

"I'll be right back." I tell them.

I head to the back of the first floor, towards the shiny white wall. Most people don't even notice there's a door there, it has a hidden handle and it looks exactly like the rest of the wall but I notice our intruder didn't close it properly so is now very visible. My steps slow down and I can see her looking at the shelves while holding a few chocolates in her hands. It's exactly the same as when we used to sneak into the pantry of the palace to get all sorts of sweets.

I breathe in and slap the door hard with my palm to open it. "Layla!"

She jumps and lets out a high pitched scream, when she realizes it's me, she takes her hands to her back and walks backwards until she hits the wall.