Ch 49: To Turn 27

So as it turns out, I apparently don't know how to calculate my own character's age. Adelaide was born on April 26th, 1456, which makes her 27 by the year 1483. I mistakenly said she was 28 in chapter 48. That's fixed now, but just in case anyone's confused, my bad. Lol

~~~

Adelaide watched Henry closely over the next couple weeks. His internal conflict hadn't waned, but nor had his resolve. He had long ago decided that garnering the English throne had been god's purpose for him, but that didn't mean he wasn't apprehensive about the idea of fighting a child. Regardless of whether or not that child was being dictated by his uncle.

For the moment, the planning and the worries were silenced as the castle celebrated Adelaide and Roland's birthday.

The kitchen had thrown together a small feast for the occasion accompanied by a delicious, mouth-watering cake that Roland couldn't take his eyes off of. The shaggy haired child turned to Adelaide in excited as one of the ladies cut him a slice, her face rosy with adoration as the eight-year-old bounced on his toes in anticipation.

He gratefully accepted the plate and charged back towards Adelaide, ignoring Charity's scolding.

"You should listen to your mother," said Adelaide restraining a laugh as Roland plopped down next to her. He wasted no time digging into the cake with insatiable hunger. His face was quickly covered in cream, and Adelaide threw her head back and howled with laughter.

Henry and Kayden both turned to her simultaneously as if yanked by a thread. And, although Adelaide noticed neither of their wrapt gazes, the two boys noticed on another with a scowl. They ignored their exchange and both turned back to the respective groups they'd been chatting with.

"Honestly, Arthur," sighed Charity exasperatedly, putting her hands on her hips and glaring at Adelaide. Her hair was disheveled and she was in no way dressed up for the celebration, but Charity's face was flushed with such undeniable joy that even Adelaide's heart skipped a beat at its allure. "It's no fair that only you get to be the fun parent. It shouldn't just be me scolding him all the time."

Adelaide laughed again, the sound high and happy.

"Why would I do that?" She jested, earning the jointed chuckles of Marcus and Anthony. Lewis shook his head while trying to hide his smile. Harry was entirely oblivious to Charity as he focused his attention on an emphatically chatty Roland who, while continuing to stuff his face, was gesturing wildly around him as he described a fable he'd read in a book recently.  "I like being the fun parent."

Stifling her own smirk, Charity smacked Adelaide playfully on the back of her head and preceded to leave the table of soldiers. She joined her mother and Melissa Mitchell, easily joining in their discussion.

"Ah, is their trouble in paradise, Arthur?" Marcus teased. Adelaide rolled her eyes and resisted throwing Roland's cake at his face.

"You should worry about yourself, Sir Abney," stated Theodore, arriving at their table and taking a seat adjacent to Adelaide. High-pitched squeals sounded in the distance, warning the entire hall that the Sumner boys were awake and ready to start a commotion. Roland's head snapped up at the sound and he turned pleadingly towards Adelaide.

"Can I go play?" He said through a mouth-full of food. Adelaide swatted him on the head and snickered.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," she chastised, knowing Charity's accusation wasn't entirely playful. Roland nodded his head, swallowed and restated his question.

"Take your plate to the kitchen ladies and then you can go play," Adelaide said with a nod in the direction of the staff. Roland's face split into a wide grin and he rushed off to discard his plate. Theodore shook his head as Roland joined his sons, increasing the chaotic volume of the room ten-fold. He shot Adelaide a look and she smiled sheepishly.