Chapter 3- Shoes

Hey y'all! I hope that this makes sense, I've never actually written volleyball play by play before. If you have any tips, plz share, and if you like it, plz vote! Enjoy :)

     The next day, we woke up before the sun rose. We changed into our t-shirts and spandex, and headed to the gym where some of the boys already were.
    They were all wearing Karasuno shirts.
    They stopped when we came in, and two boys in particular screamed that there were girls here. One of them was about my height with spiky hair, and the other pretty tall with a buzzcut.
    Then another guy with a good build and short hair, the captain maybe, hit both of them over the head and apologized to us.
    "It's alright," Nanami said, then she WINKED at the bald one. Oh my god she winked at the bald one.
    We left to go to our respective courts as baldy pranced for joy. Nanami wasn't bad looking. She had the body of a model and the beautiful black hair of a mannequin. However her technique was sloppy. The only reason she was the captain was because she was the most popular, so the rest of the girls rallied around her.
    We were tying our court shoes when the rest of the teams trickled in, Nekoma coming first, the other Fukurodani team. They were followed by Shinzen and the Obigawa.
    Our coach gave us baggy red tank tops with numbers printed on them. I got number 5. 5 has always been my number, and the reason for it is kind of stupid.
    The Karasuno girls team arrived fashionably late. We had already warmed up a bit by the time they got to our court. I looked at their court shoes, which earned me an annoyed look from my first year partner who got stuck with me because she was too slow to find a partner.
    Karasuno's court shoes didn't match, and only one pair was street shoes, but one pair is all I needed to know.
    Karasuno is no threat, because just one pair isn't even court shoes. That's how I see it. I make snap judgements on every team just by their shoes. And then as I watch the warm up, I get a little more information on how they play. Most of the time my judgements are right, but there was one time I didn't realise that the shoes a girl was playing in were just really expensive court shoes. That girl kicked our asses.
    But these girls' hits were rainbows. They landed outside the court, and the ones that landed in, the shoulders of the hitters were easy to read. This was going to be an easy win.

    Boy was I right. I didn't expect to win 25-4. I stayed in the back row the entire time therefore getting no tosses from the setter. I almost felt bad watching them run up that hill.
    "Up next is Shinzen," Nanami said, snapping me out of my daze. "I think they're playing our boy's team right now."
    "Should we watch?" A first year asked.
    "Yeah that set was over pretty quick," said a second year."
    So we went to watch our boys team play. The rest of my team never came to the boy's practice, so they were amazed at Bokuto's strength, and all of them streaming that he was hot didn't really fix his ego problem.
    I of course didn't do this, but instead took notes. I took stats on Akaashi's sets, and how many Boktuo landed, and if they were cut shots or not.
    Maybe it's my nerdiness that everyone hates.
    I remember our first tournament, I scouted ahead and took notes on teams that we might play, and everyone gave me these weird looks.
    That's one of the things that I never stopped doing, because I know it helps me in defense.
    I also know Akaashi likes to look at them afterward so that he can better adjust his sets to Bokuto's erratic behavior.
    When the set ended, Shinzen had lost 25-17. I watched as the team sighed and ran up the hill. My team got up and prepared for the next set.
    Shinzen came back sweaty and out of breath, but ready for the next set.

    They sure put up a fight, and some of their combos were a little hard for me to read, but we ended up winning that set 25-19. This time I actually got to play front row, but I got no sets, which was what I was expecting.
    The only time I got to touch the ball was when I was watching the boys on the other side of the net freak out when I jumped high enough to stuff their hits. At least that was fun.
    Of course the original fun is short lived when you know that you won't get to hit, ever. Nanami is our setter, and for some still unknown reason, she won't freaking set to me.
    I'm on the court for a reason, so use me.
    Next was the complete mystery, Karasuno.
    I hadn't gotten a chance to really look at them, so I never really got to analyze their playing style. All I know is from word of mouth, which said that they've got some kind of insane quick attacks.
    My coach heard this news too, so she put me in the front row to match up with the little red head. She hoped that I, being the fastest one on the team, would be fast enough to maybe block the attack, and free up some options for us.
    I stood facing him. He was only about an inch or two taller than me.
    "Hey, are you a middle blocker too?" He asked me, his eyes sparking. I smiled. That was the first time almost anyone had talked to me all day.
    "No, I'm a wing, but I can hit anywhere. You're kinda short for a middle."
    "I know, but that's what makes me so awesome, I'm gonna be like the tiny giant someday!"
    He pumped his fist in the air as he smiled.
    "Who's the tiny giant?" I asked.
    He lost his smile and gasped. "You don't know who the tiny giant is? But you're so short, he's got to be your idol!"
    Before he could say anymore, a spin serve hurtled over the net, and out of bounds.
    "Ugh, Sorry," I heard a voice whine from behind me.
    "It's alright!" Nanami said to the first year.
    Karasuno's setter served an absolutely insane ball, but that wasn't too hard for our libero to receive. I called for the set, hoping I'd get it, but instead, Nanami opted for a quick attack that went straight to their libero. He was the kid with the spiky hair who was crying about us earlier.
    I could have aimed it better.
I kept my eyes on the kid with the red hair as the setter ran to get his hands on the ball.