Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"Do you know what Gretel wants from me?" I asked Lisa, hoping she'd have the answer to that. She survived for almost a year under Gretel's wrath, I was sure she knew something.

"There is some sort of prophecy—the chosen one kills werewolves and witches are in peace with humans." Lisa replied, shaking her head and trying hard to think. "I think it goes back to the times were the witches were being constantly attacked and killed,"

"But they were killed by humans—not werewolves!"

"No, they were werewolves who outed the witches to the humans and made peace with them. It's goes really back, centuries ago, which is why a chosen one is born every century to end the werewolf line." She explained.

"But what difference would it make to Gretel and her witches?" I asked, shrugging. They could keep running for all I cared.

"It's just not about this coven, Red. Gretel is the queen of witches, the strongest and the oldest one in existence. They go by the order of sisterhood—if one witch is in trouble, they'll gather and end that trouble for her." She further continued, explaining me a little more.

I clenched my hands around the chair and flicked at the door where I heard someone coming closer. Gretel didn't just want revenge from the werewolves, there was more to it.

"Party time is over!" The same witch as earlier stepped inside the room and grabbed me off the chair. "You're going in another room," she looked into my eyes and said.

"No, Vanessa!" Lisa shouted, getting up.

"And, you are going to sit the fuck down and do your chores before the queen arrives and snaps your neck," The witch threatened her and she immediately backed down in fear.

The witch tugged on me and pulled me out of the room regardless of how many times I said no. She dragged me across the mansion and took me to another room that was small. She pushed me inside and closed the door before I could run or reach for it.

"Please, let me talk to my friend!" I shouted, banging my fist on the door.

I lost count of the minutes I was locked inside the room without anything to drink and eat. My anger furthered and I fisted my hands together. I never agreed into being treated like trash.

My stomach growled loudly and I plopped on the bed, tapping my bare foot on the ground and waiting for someone to come. I had set my intentions on releasing Lisa and sending her away from here. I couldn't watch her get tormented by the other witches.

She was just a human and she belonged nowhere in the witch or the werewolf world—she belonged with her parents and I intended on sending her back.

A whole hour passed by and only after that a woman came inside my room. My anger vanished when I saw her face, her mouth had stitches and her eyes were a blazing amber, almost like a demon.

When she raised her hand at me, I ran to the other direction, "No, no, no." I murmured as I heard her say a spell.

Blood rushed up to my ears and I heard the worse sounds, they were loud and alarming. I pressed my hands against my ears and screamed for the mysterious sounds to stop. The sounds tore through me like shards of glass, wounding my ears and my head. Blood drained from my face as I hit the floor, still holding onto my ears and begging the woman to stop. It went on forever and I rattled on the ground like I was trapped in a cage.

"That's enough, Theresa." A man said, stopping the woman.

In a flash of a second, the sounds stopped and the pain vanished away. I lifted my head and found a man standing right next to the wicked woman who almost made me deaf.

She shrugged, "I was just giving her magic back,"

"There are other ways," The man said to her.

The woman rolled her eyes and walked away as if nothing had just happened. I gathered myself immediately when the man approached me, remorse filling his eyes. Who was he? Men weren't a part of witches and from what I had learned, Gretel didn't have any men by her side, instead, she despised them to the core.

"It's okay, you're going to be fine." The man said, kneeling down at me.

"Who are you?" I asked, backing farther away from him.

"I'm Damon—Damon Halbert,"

Halbert? The Halbert Mansion?

My ears strained as I raised my brows in confusion.

The man smiled and offered me his hand. I took his hand and stood up from the ground, my head still spinning wild with whatever the witch had done with me.

"Please, sit down." He said, pouring a glass of water for me.

I took the glass from him, my hands shaking with fear as I gulped down the water and looked back at him. "Who are you?" I asked again.

"I'm the son of the queen,"

When I heard that, I shut my lips together and didn't utter another word. Gretel had a son? A fucking son? Gretel had her own child yet she had the audacity to kidnap mine. 

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr