3.

Chicago, IL Saturday

Chicago, IL
Saturday.
May 22, 2021.
3:46 p.m.

Naamah Briar.

"So how are you settling in?" Naa's mother Lily questioned through the phone. It had been exactly two weeks since Naa found out what she really was and her mother forced her to leave town. Naa wasn't sure what made her choose Chicago as a destination but she was satisfied with it. "Um it's always cold, I hate the cold," Naa replies speaking unenthusiastically causing Lily to laugh a bit.

"But other than that it's okay," she admits nodding slowly popping a green colored grape into her mouth.

"Have you eaten?" Her mother quizzed.

"Yeah I had some pizza an-"

Lily immediately cut her off, "no I mean have you eaten?" She questioned using a s different tone of voice which made tingles flow down Naa's spine. She was trying to forget the fact that she had to kill people to continue to live. "N-no," she confesses staring blankly at the floor with a grape between her fingers.

"It's been two weeks Naa..." She reminds, "I told you how to dispose of it."

"I know I know I just can't stomach actually doing it," she replies feeling herself start to become rather overwhelmed but she fights off the urge to cry.

"Go eat," her mother demanded, "I have to go I'll call you tonight.." She says then ends the call causing the buzzing sound to erupt into Naamah's ears.

She there completely stunned.

Naa looked down at the ground as she pushed her hands into her velvet pink jacket pocket, the wind had just died which made it less cold but it had snowed the night before causing many puddles to be amongst the ground. Naa passed by many men hearing them call out to her as she entered the store. She pushed her hoodie from off her head, and pulled her long weave from being tucked in her jacket letting it flow just above her ass. She quickly fixated the top of her hair making sure her fly aways were down. She went directly to the back and grabbed a Gatorade, the red kind to be exact.

As she moved around the store she could feel eyes on her, she looked up at the camera screen hovering above her head seeing two men a couple aisles over.

Fear started coursing through her veins, she wasn't sure why they were watching her for that matter.

She went to the counter and slammed the Gatorade down, "just this," she rushed the clerk pushing it closer towards the Arabic descent man then she snatched some skittles slamming them down also and smiled wamingly at him.

"$2.84," the man spoke with a thick accent.

Naa pulled out exactly three bucks snatching her things then rushing out the store. Just as she did so the men decided to follow along behind her. "Beautiful where you going?" They both called out causing her to look back, "I'm not interested," she managed keeping her eyes on them.

"Come on just give me ya digits," one pleaded.

"All that ass you got," the other one shouted.

Since Naa was whipping her head back and forth constantly she wasn't really focused on where she was headed that she had bumped into someone. He instantly wrapped his arm around her waist catching her from causing the both of them to fall. "Is you alright?" The voice asked in a softly spoken voice. Her eyes looked up seeing a man towering over her, he had thick full lips with dark eyes, he had on a beanie with his dreads hanging shoulder length with a few strands of blonde and brown mixed in with the overall black. Before she could speak the men walked up, "what y'all want with my sister?" The rescuer questioned playing it off completely.

"Von we ain't even know that was yo baby sis our bad," one apologized then they both began walking in the other direction.

"Von?" Naa questioned unsure of the name she had just heard.

Von suddenly pointed over at a flyer which was stapled into the light post. Naa saw clear as day that he was a performer and he had a show tonight, she then looked back over at him. "Who are you?" She asked.

"King Von," he restated trying hard not to crack a smile from her question, he was amused at the fact that she was completely clueless. "I ain't never heard of you," she admits folding her arms over her chest trailing behind him as he begins walking away from her.

"I ain't never see you what you from 63rd?" He quizzes looking her up and down.

"Fuck no, I'm new in town.. Thank you for saving me," she replies jogging slightly to catch up to him.

"No trouble jus' be cautious niggas be thirsty aight?" He reminds looking down at her small frame.

She nods quickly taking in the information but Naamah was more than positive she could handle herself from now on, she just really didn't want to show the ability of doing so - especially in broad daylight.

"I see you have a show tonight I wanna come," she then steps in front of him stopping him in his tracks. He clutched onto his phone tightly tilting his head a bit not bothering to say a word. Von was reading her, he didn't know where she came from or anything of that nature. He wasn't fond of new people entering his circle or being in his face for that matter, he always knew to keep his guard up because of who he was. He was not one to be played with. Any and everyone knew that, except Naamah.

She folded her arms over her chest, insisting she wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Where you from?" He asks wanting to know more about her.

"Texas," she replies.

"Yea? I hear the shit in ya voice I should've known," he said walking around her and continuing on to his destination.

Naa stood there in disbelief realizing he really didn't want anything to do with her. She suddenly jogged after him once again, "Von I wanna go to the fucking show," she pleaded with aggression coming out of her voice. Without hesitation Von turned around and slammed her against a brick wall in the alley, he stared down at her letting his dark eyes roam all over her frightened face. He simply licked over his thick lips and removed his palm from beside her head, reached into his back pocket, pulling out a red wrist band. He pushed it into her jacket pocket and placed a kiss onto her forehead then left her standing there with wide eyes.

Her heart beat was thumping out her chest as she could smell his cologne still lingering in front of her, she slowly clutched onto her chest in disbelief.

She hesitantly pulled the band out her pocket and read, "VIP," in gold bold letters.

Naamah thought that since Von would be there performing plenty of other men would be too, which meant they would just fall into her hands with so much ease almost like taking candy from a baby.