1.01

Helena smiled to herself as she walked through the halls of the hospital with her fellow interns

Helena smiled to herself as she walked through the halls of the hospital with her fellow interns. This was it, her new workplace, her new life, her future.

As the Doctor giving them the tour lead them to their locker room, she looked around. "This is where you'll keep your things, change and shower. There's quite a lot of you, so make sure you only grab one locker each."

As most other inters rushed to looks around, Helena stayed towards the back. She knew she would spend a lot of time in that room, there was no rush to try to see it. It seemed another intern had had the same idea, as she saw a curly haired man standing next to her.

"No need to hurry, we'll be seeing it for the rest of the year, right?" Her fellow intern asked her in a hushed tone and was met with a smile and a nod. She had been accused of being intimidating before, when her head was in the game, but deep down she'd always been a nurturing person.

"Exactly. I'm Helena Campos, by the way. You?"
He let his eyes lighter on her for a bit longer than normal, and could barely contain a smile as he replied.

"George O'Malley. Pleasure to meet you, Helena."

——

The group was now in the hall, at the door of an OR, where Doctor Webber was waiting for them. Everyone should, by know, recognise the man as the chief of surgery: if they didn't, then they were already behind.

Helena suddenly heard the door behind her opening and closing, seeing a dirty blond entering, trying not to be noticed. Being late was certainly not a good way to start their internship, she though to herself. The young brunette herself had arrived half an hour earlier, since her anxiety hadn't allowed her much sleep. However, she couldn't help but feel for the girl.

"Don't worry, you didn't miss much. Just a tour of the cafeteria and locker rooms. I can always show you where they are later." She whispered to the woman in her slight accent, trying to offer some comfort. It seemed to help, as the taller girl looked at her with a grateful smile and a sigh of relief.

As the group entered the OR, a sense of peace and tranquillity washed over the foreign woman. This was a rare feeling for her, which only reinforced that she was where she was meant to be. The group scattered around the room and Helena approached the operating table. In little to no time, she could be be cutting into someone in this very room, saving their life.

"Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game". She heard the firm but calm voice of her now chief. "A month ago you were in med school, being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors". The short girl smiled to herself. She was a doctor, a surgical intern in one of the best programs in the United States. At that moment, all of the hard work and long nights of studying were worth it. "The 7 years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and the worst of you life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you, say hello to the competition."