Chapter 10

Mo Yue made her special herbal mushroom soup for Chang Ying and called her over to eat. Mo Yue placed a lot of importance on the soup. The family currently did not have money to buy blood nourishing medicine or cook very rich, delicious foods to replenish Chang Ying's body, so this herbal soup was very important to supplement her diet.

Chang Ying rested in her room. Because of her injuries and blood loss, she could not move around or do any energetic activities. The incident that morning had already exhausted her.

After sitting down, she wiped her sweaty forehead with the back of her hand and frowned.

One look at Feifei today and she was able to discern a faint difference in her physical appearance. It was hardly noticeable but it was still there. Feifei's skin, or her face at least, looked smooth and without scars, pimples, freckles or sun burns. That was really rare for a village brat from a family poorer than a church mouse.

Had she started to use the pearl already?

Chang Ying pursed her lips as she thought about it. If so, it would be too troublesome.

If Feifei could already use the blessings of the pearls on herself, there was nothing stopping her from using the curses on others. The curses were alarmingly more than blessings, even the lowest tier ones could create trouble.

She had to find a way to get the pearl quickly. But for now, she first had to recover her health.

At that time, Lu Chen opened the door and walked into the room.

Chang Ying stiffened as she looked at his face. His fine, sharpened features, each small and refined like he had a noble ancestry. Thin, long brows like swords; narrow, beautiful eyes that peered down at the world like an emperor's; a regal Aqunine nose, soft lips like rosebuds and a sharply cut but elegant face.

Lu Chen was dashing but poor. Despite his poverty, it was the way his eyes stretched, squinted, narrowed and softened when he looked at people that truly beguiled her. He could say a lot with just those beautifully tapered eyes.

But, today, Chang Ying turned away and avoided those eyes. She was in a panic yesterday and this morning was tense. Now was the first time both of them were both alone and conscious. For all her resolve not to give him up, strangely, at this moment, Chang Ying did not know how to face him.

She was no longer the same naive girl of the past he married. It was a month apart for him but for her it was years. She had been moulded and reforged by those experiences he did not know she had. Would he notice? Would he be able to fall in love with this her in front of him now?

"What are you thinking about?" A familiar yet unfamiliar voice asked.

Chang Ying jerked in surprise. In her short internal turmoil, she didn't notice he was already standing in front of her.

"I...I..." she gulped, suddenly out of words to say.

Lu Chen squatted and waved a steaming hot bowl in front of her face. She had been so entranced, she had not noticed he was holding this when he came in. The aroma swam into her nose and her belly moaned in protest.

She swallowed empty air and looked at the bowl with wide, yearning eyes. "What is this?"

Lu Chen smiled. "Didn't I go out this morning? Mother wanted to make some medicinal cuisine to nurse you back to health. When I went to pick some mushrooms, I got lucky and caught a bamboo rat. So you will be able to eat some delicious meat and get better soon."

Chang Ying looked at the bowl in surprise. Went to pick mushroom and came back with meat, wasn't this the luck of the son of heaven?

Aside from the tribulation he had to face from being poor, Lu Chen was really a child beloved by fate. Even back in school, he was always praised by the teachers, whether it was arts or science, he excelled. It was as if he could do anything.