Chapter 9

Tanna Carson

"You have to be kidding." I throw the blankets off me after tossing and turning for hours with absolutely no luck of falling asleep.

I lean over, patting around the surface of the pedestal, searching until I land on my phone. I tap the screen, reading the numbers as the they light up.

3:30 am

"Stupid jet lag." I groan, sitting up before dropping my head into my hands.

I swing my legs over the side of the bed, standing up slowly and trudging lazily towards the bedroom door.

My hand hovers over the light switch, flicking it up to turn light up the room.

I push the door closed gently, not wanting to make a noise that would wake up any of the boys.

"This better not happen often." I whisper under my breath as I walking over to the pile of boxes on the floor. "And now I'm talking to myself."

I roll my eyes, laughing quietly at myself disbelief as I lean down, reading all the labels to search for the one box with my bedroom decor.

"There really are not that many boxes, how co- never mind." My eyes land on the box, reaching down to pick up the box from the bottom of the pile.

I place the box in front of me in the floor, sitting behind it as I rip off the tape.

Peering into the box, I come across the envelopes with all my pictures, opening it up and spreading them across the floor.

Since there's no chance of me going back to sleep tonight, I might as well start with decorating.

I smile down at the photos, passing one over the other as the memories all flash through my mind.

I stand up, stretching out my legs before leaning down to grab the tape from the box and hopping up onto my bed.

A few minutes later, I stood on the bed, the tape caught between my teeth and the photos in my hand.

I suck in a deep breath between my teeth, my eyes shutting closed as the box falls off the bed.

I stand still, peeping towards the door through one eye, silently hoping that the noise wasn't loud enough to disturb anyone else.

After the silence, I go back to sticking the photos on the wall, pressing up onto my toes to reach higher up on the wall when a loud bash comes from the door.

"Tanna are you o-ow!" I lose my balance, falling off the edge of the bed in fright before landing on the floor.

I swivel round, leaning my back against the end of the bed before dropping my head down against it.

I stare up at the ceiling for a second,  biting down on my lip, trying not to laugh as I lift my head up, my eyebrows furrowing together.

"At least I got the photo up." I can't help but laugh as I see a shirtless, very tired looking Luke standing in the doorway of my room, with his hand on his head. "Tan?"

I gesture with my head for him to come in, rolling my eyes in amusement as he makes his way over to where I was sitting on the floor to crouch down in front of me.

"Luke, you do know its like five in the morning, what are you doing up?"

"I heard a thud, it kinda woke me up so I figured I'd check if you were okay?" He says rubbing the back of his neck with his hand making me smile as I look into his eyes.

"Aren't you the one who just ran into the door? Also, sorry to tell you this, but you woke up to check on a box."

"It was dark and I may have ran into the door. I didn't realize it was closed." I say giggling as a smile breaks out onto his face.

"If it was the box that fell, I need to ask, what are you doing on the floor?"

"Yeah, haha about that. You may have scared me a bit when you ran into the door. Next thing I was falling and the next I was here, on the floor but I'm okay."

"Tan, are you okay? I am so sorry." His eyes visibly widen in concern as as he listens to my words.

"It's okay Luke, you evened it out by running into my door and everything." He chuckles deeply, picking up on the humour in my voice.

"Shh, the boys are sleeping." I nudge him, causing him to lose his balance from his crouching position.

He holds his hands up in defense, making me laugh. His eyes wonder around the room, landing on all the photos littered all along my bed and wall.

"I'm guessing you couldn't fall asleep eh?"

"Guess I need to that the jet lag for that." I say groaning softly.

"It'll take some time to get used to, but you'll get there." He says with a smile.

I push down against the bed, standing up as I hold my hand out to Luke.

"Come on." He raises his eyebrow at me in curiosity, placing his hand in mine regardless as he stands up. "We're going downstairs. I'd go by myself but, I'd rather not."

"Why, are you scared of ghosts or something?" He teases, making me laugh and roll my eyes.

"Or something." I turn around, walking out the room and down the stairs, assuming Luke's following. "The kitchens this way right?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'm getting there." I say smiling, walking towards the kitchen. "How's your head?"

"It's okay." He says, taking a seat in one of the chairs at the kitchen island.

I roll my eyes, hearing him groan under his breath as he presses down on his head.

"I'm sure." I open the bottom drawers of the deep freeze, opening each of the drawers in search of an ice pack.

I'm sure they must have at least one around here somewhere.

"Oh, here it is."

"Here what is?"

"Ice pack." I say holding it up as I walk over to him.

"I don't need one, I promise I'm fine." I roll my eyes at his stubbornness, stepping closer to him to run my thumb across his forehead.

I hear him hiss under his breath as my finger brushes over the spot he knocked into the door.

"You're okay right?" I tease, holding up the ice pack to rest on his head. "Humor me for a bit?"