Chap. 4 - Understanding a little better

You'd think that, after what happened back in cliff city, our two protagonists would start to get along. You would. Shaky beginning but hey, it'd be a start.
Oh, how nice it must be to have hope.
Ever since they left, Monkey has been leading (Y/n) through almost hellish paths just to see the extent of her climbing skills without actually saying it. Instead he kept saying they were shortcuts, and although it was true, it was very exhausting for a human like her.
"Come on (Y/n)." he looked down at her as she climbed a big pile of rocks that was blocking the way (he was already at the top with a few jumps) "Just do the leaping thing again."
The young woman simply screamed to express her exasperation towards him.
At some point she couldn't take it anymore and decided that she would take the lead. And for a young woman who only left her home for the very first time a week or so ago, it went about as well as you'd expect.

"Admit it, we're lost!" Monkey exclaimed, dragging his feet as he followed her through the forest.
"No we're not!" she kept going and didn't look back.
"I told you the mountain side was the easier route!"
"And risking falling to my doom?! You call that easier?!"
"At least it was the safer route!"
"Have you seen the footbridge on that wall?! It was like twenty centimeters ! *This* is the safer route!" she pointed at the ground.
"How would you know?! You've never been here before!"
"It's about basic logic! If you can't go around the mountain, you go straight through the mountain!" she said as she moved her arm to illustrate her words. "I thought you were all about shortcuts."
"Not this time. You say it's safer in the forest, all I'm seeing is that demons can pop out any seconds."
"Oh please, we've been lost for hours and we still haven't encountered anyone or anything. Chill."
"That doesn't mean we're safe yet-Wait! Did you just admit that we're lost?!" he pointed at her.
"Uuuuh-."

Before she could come up with an excuse, suddenly bandits came out from behind bushes and trees, surrounding them.
"Um, at least they're not demons." she nervously smiled.
Monkey sighed, put his staff down and cracked his knuckles.
"Just stay out of my way while I handle this." he said.
"Oh you think I can't take care of this with you?" she took a step closer but then flinched and yelped when the men in front of her took out weapons. "Alright nevermind go ahead!"
He rolled his eyes and proceeded to beat up the group of men. Although he didn't kill them, they were unable to run away and just laid there in pain while our duo walked away.
"I heard you! You said we were lost!"
"The forest is making you hear things. We better get going before you go insane."

Like the first course of a meal, the bandits were only the beginning. As the sun began to set, now demons were indeed popping out of nowhere. Monkey would defeat them like it was nothing, but the amount of fighting just made him grumpier, because (Y/n) refused to admit that she was the one to blame for this situation.
"I can't believe fighting demons isn't cheering me up." he said. "You ruined kicking demon ass for me. One of my favorite things to do in the whole world and you ruined it. Thanks."
"Oh would you stop whining already?" she looked back. "I feel like I'm babysitting a child."
"Excuse me?!" he stopped for a second, shocked by what she said, before he walked again. "If anyone's babysitting anyone here it's me! I keep saving you and I don't even get anything from it!"
"It's not like I'm having a blast here either!"
"Oh really?!" he smiled ironically. "Why, why not?! You are embarking on a road trip with your childhood hero the mighty Monkey King! Fun and games all around! Going through various locations to find Guan Yin's island and uncover the mystery of Golden Cicada! When really the real treasure..." dramatic pause. "is the friendships we made along the way."

She clenched her fist, really wanting to punch him in the face. And she was about to try, but then she saw something. Ignoring Monkey's monologue, she walked up to a wooden sign planted on the ground, saying there was an inn not far ahead and that it had a hot spring available.
"Well Monkey, you're in luck." she turned back and pointed at it. "Because tonight, you and I get a night off."
Curious, he stood beside her and read the sign. Then he frowned.
"An inn, with a hot spring, right in the middle of a demon-infested mountain." he glanced at her with a raised eyebrow. "How convenient."
"I know it's suspicious, I'm not stupid." she said. "But we're both tired and it'll get dark soon, mind as well check it out." she shrugged and walked passed the sign. "And if it was a trap, I'm sure you could take care of it."
Monkey sighed before following her. After a short while, they reached an old little building. They briefly looked at each-other before walking in.