Hero of the Humans

Author's Note: Sharing this absolutely phenomenal  fanart from @kadika_art on IG

Author's Note: Sharing this absolutely phenomenal  fanart from @kadika_art on IG. There is so much detail in this!!! It honestly looks like a movie poster! It's amazing!!!!!

Vandel

I was going to die.

It was actually about to happen. I watched the weapons moving towards me as if they were in slow motion, as if I had all the time in the world before I was thrust into that eternal darkness.

I'm sorry, Ridley, I thought. I'm sorry I wasn't able to fight my way back to you. This is going to hurt you and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I wasn't strong enough.

And then the world abruptly screeched to a halt as a blade burst through the chest of the human in front of me.

Blood sprayed everywhere, the thick red liquid splattering across my face. This brought the rest of the knights to a sudden standstill, watching in horror as the body of their comrade slowly sunk to the ground, revealing his killer.

Standing there was Ridley.

He looked different, his eyes milky and glazed. My gaze traveled down to his fingers and realized with a start that they appeared almost infused with his blade.

"Ridley--" I choked.

The other knights were standing there, shocked, unsure of whether to move at him or me. Finally one made up his mind, swinging his blade directly towards my head. Ridley was upon him in seconds. His sword sliced a clean line across the knight's throat, spraying blood everywhere. The knight behind the last moved to run, but Ridley was faster, cutting him down as easily as one might swat a fly.

A cold, horrible terror seized me as I looked up at him.

At each blow, each kill, Ridley was changing. His skin growing paler, his hair going white, the hilt of the sword infusing further and further with the length of his arm as if it were turning to marble.

This wasn't my Ridley.

Ridley

I was drowning in the haze.

It was growing darker, thicker, and I was sinking into it.

Fading.

It was swallowing me and my limbs felt too heavy to resist, aching to surrender to it.

I couldn't breath. It was filling my lungs, flooding my vision.

I could hear the Bone King's voice, echoing within my head like a waterfall pushing me further under.

"It's alright, Ridley. Let go. Just let go.

Vandel

Body after body fell to the ground in sickening succession. Ridley was drenched in blood, the scarlet dripping from his face a stark contrast to the current snow-white of his skin.

He stepped over the bodies, kicking them aside as if they were in his way. There were only a few knights left standing, trembling so violently they were hardly able to grip their own weapons.

"Ridley," I called out, my voice hoarse. "Ridley, stop this. This isn't you. Please...please come back to me." Ridley took a step towards me, his blade still drawn and dripping with blood. "RIDLEY, PLEASE!" I began to scream. "RIDLEY, YOU'RE SCARING ME!"

He didn't even blink.

I felt a horrible, sinking sensation deep down within in the pit of my stomach.

He wasn't there anymore.

I frantically looked to the few remaining knights. "Get behind me," I rasped, "I'm going to protect you."

The remaining four knights all looked to me, shocked expressions plastered to their faces.

"Ridley would never have wanted to kill you," I explained desperately. "Slaughtering you would break his heart. I have to do this, it's what he'd want."

Ridley moved to attack one of the knights beside me, but I flung out my hands, creating a barrier which gave the knight enough time to scamper behind me. I could feel I had already exerted too much of my power. Every movement felt like I was on the brink of collapse. Hell...if I used too much, I might actually end up killing myself in the process.

I looked to the terrified knights, then back to Ridley. His eyes and hair had now gone completely white.

I had to protect them.

I had to protect them for him.

The Bone King

I watched with delight as Ridley exhibited everything I knew he'd always had in him. Every cut, every slice, every rip of flesh. It was beautiful to watch.

And soon...he'd finally become what he was always meant to be. He'd be unstoppable. I'd be unstoppable.

That's when I suddenly heard a cold voice sound from behind me. "Good evening, Sterlan."

I knew who the speaker was without even turning around.

"Sterlan...no one has used that name for me in a long time," I mused.

"Not like there's many left to call you by name at all."

I smiled thinly, finally turning to face her. "You make an excellent point, my dear."

"Don't," she warned icily. "Don't you dare try to act familiar with me after what you did."

"Were you always this haughty?" I chuckled under my breath. "What happened to the sweet little girl from our youth who always trailed after me like a puppy?"

"She had to become a powerful demon queen while you fucked off to become...this," she snarled.

"Oh stop being so petty. It doesn't suit you," I tutted. "In fact, I think it makes you quite obnoxious, Victoria. Now quit whining and enjoy the show." I gestured to the glass. "Actually, I'm glad you're here. It would be a shame if I had to watch such a fascinating display all by myself."

Letting out a low huff, Victoria finally stepped beside me, gazing down into the chamber as well. The moment she did, I felt her stiffen in horror at the sight below.

Ridley was standing amidst a pile of butchered bodies while the few remaining humans coward behind Vandel. The Demon Prince was desperately using the last of his strength to protect them.

"Quite the change, isn't it?" I observed. "The white knight cutting down his own comrades while the wicked prince gives his life to try and save them." I paused, casting Victoria a side glance through lidded eyes. "I'm surprised you allowed that boy to grow so weak."

"He loves him," Victoria said softly. "I hadn't even realized how much until it was far too late. You say that makes him weak, but look at him...he's still deflecting the attacks of that oh so powerful monster you're trying to create."

My mouth pressed into a hard line. "I suppose you're right." I looked down at the little demon who, despite being bloodied and bruised, was still fighting with everything he had to protect the humans...even more so than when he was fighting for his own life. "I think I could've really grown to like him," I said slowly, with perhaps even a slight prick of affection. I let out a low sigh. "It's a shame that the first time I see my son in person it has to be like this since...well..." I cast Victoria a wry smile, "in a moment I'm going to have him killed. "