Imperfections in the Perfect [Brooklyn Masefield]

This story was requested by the amazing person going by the name @minghao_cutie Go and follow them quickly!! You'll all be making me and them happy! Hope you and everyone else likes this!

I watched from the periphery as Brooklyn launched his blade. Hiro Granger launched his own blade testing Brooklyn. I watched as Brooklyn fought of Hiro's attacks without breaking a sweat. I was slowly realising why Boris Balkov favoured Brooklyn over all of us. Sure, we made the BEGA Team, but in front of him we were all a formality. Just to ensure that he was able to compete.

We were nothing in front of Brooklyn. Bladers like Kai Hiwatari and Tala Ivanov had lost from us BEGA Bladers too. I doubted even Tyson Granger could face us. Even if he could face us, would he be anywhere near Brooklyn?

"Congrats Brooklyn!" I watched in awe as Hiro's blade was knocked out of the dish. Brooklyn had barely moved two steps during this match. He was getting better with every match.

"Good, good! You all have 20 minutes for lunch," Boris said. He looked exceedingly pleased as he kept a skeletal hand on Brooklyn's shoulder.

Us – the BEGA Team Members – waited for Brooklyn while the other random Bladers filed out of the room. Hiro began talking to that greasy man and Brooklyn heaved a sigh, happy to be away from him.

"I'm way too excited for the matches to begin!" Ming-Ming said pumping her fist. "I would love to see the G Revolutions asses handed to them."

"That would certainly be... delightful." I nodded uncertainly. Sure, they would lose but Ming-Ming's overconfidence seemed over the top.

"I just want to make sure I show the world what my family members are capable of, in their chosen fields." Garland said seriously.

"What are you looking for in this competition Brooklyn?" I asked him. He was my long-time friend but sometimes he could be so enigmatic, it worried me.

"Nothing specific..." He said looking lost. His pale thumb was rubbing the top of his blade and he looked a bit worn out.

I tried not to think much into it and instead chatted with Garland as he told, for once, a genuinely interesting tale about one of his brothers. The boy had such a big family that I always forgot some or the other person.

In the canteen I filled my plate a bit too generously, because come on free food. The food was still warm and pretty delicious but I still couldn't keep my mind off of him. He sat with a straight back and didn't talk to anyone. He just ate quietly and speedily and without a word walked out.

I, on the other hand, continued stuffing my face with pasta, salad, vegetable soup and cheesy tacos. A girl's got to eat, okay!

"LUNCH OVER! BACK TO THE PRACTICE HALL EVERYONE!" That greasy bastard spoiled my fruity desert with his bullfrog like voice. In rebellion I stuffed the remainder of the desert before moving an inch from my seat.

"(Y/n) UNLESS YOU WANT EXTRA PRACTICE AND NO SNACKS YOU CAN CONTINUE EATING!" I wanted to flip him the finger but I didn't want to be thrown out so instead I groaned and stood up, following him back.

Everyone had already paired up with people and begun training when I reached.

"Hmm... Where is young Brooklyn?" Boris pondered, rubbing his chain. The worry worm coiled tightly in my stomach as I scanned the crowd for a pale boy with a head of flaming red hair. He was no where to be seen.

"Why didn't you look out for your teammate (Y/n)?" I resisted the extremely strong urge to roll my eyes at the Russian monkey. Brooklyn wasn't my two- year-old. He was a man of free will in a free country. How could I have looked out for him?!