Track 36. | Never Can Tell

💿
"They had a hi-fi phono, boy, did they let it blast
Seven hundred little records, all rock, rhythm and jazz
But when the sun went down, the rapid tempo of the music fell
"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell"

Song: Never can tell - Chuck Berry.

* * *

Bowie.

I straighten out my long black dress in the window of the restaurant sighing as I see him sat at a table inside dressed in a shirt and trousers.

I wrap my shawl around my arms making myself look more presentable. My heels click against the sidewalk as I push open the restaurant door plastering a smile on my face.

"Reservation miss?" The waiter at a small front desk asks before I can sit down at the table. "Table under Murphy" I smile as the waiter nods gesturing for me to follow him towards the table the figure is sat at reading a menu.

"Now miss, I'll be back to take your orders" the waiter smiles as he pulls out my chair to help me sit down. I thank him as I drop my bag to the floor sitting into the seat with a smile.

"You look great, how are you?" He beams at me from across the table, his dark hair pushed back off his face slicked back perfectly.

"Thank you, I'm great! How are you?" I say sounding interested as I watch him pour me a glass of wine.

"I'm amazing, what brings you to Austin?" He smiles as I adjust my long black wig on my head making sure it stays perfect.

"Just here on business, I work in a law firm in Manhattan" I say as I sip my wine while he nods listening to me.

"Hard working woman, I'm glad you could find some free time to join me" Jake smiles sipping his own wine.

We continue small talk as we wait for the waiter. The restaurant is dimly lit helping me disguise myself more. By the way the restaurant is set out and decorated I can tell it's owned by a rich mother fucker.

"I like to take some time out on every trip I make for myself, can't keep working constantly or I'll burn out" I say forcing a light laugh trying not to let my American accent fade away.

"Important to have some social interaction. See anything you fancy on the menu?" He asks as he watches me scan down the menu, if I'm not paying I may as well get some food out of this.

"They have great steak and fries in there Bow, highly recommend" Niall whispers in my ear through the ear piece. I turn my head to look out the window as I see him and Harry sat in a black car across the road. Niall sticks his thumbs up and I turn my head back to Jake answering him "think I might go for the steak and chips, my friend recommended me when I told them I was coming here" I say shutting the menu placing it in front of me on the table.

"Good choice, think I'll join you on that one" he smiles placing his down as I smile at him taking a sip of my wine, it's white wine so I'm trying not to drink too much as it tastes like vinegar, I prefer red.

"Told you—hey! Stop hitting me!" Niall mutters into my earpiece as I hear Harry slapping him as he talks.

I mentally roll my eyes at the two of them outside the window keeping watch on me. Why did I have to bring those two?

"Are you two ready to order?" The waiter walks back over holding a notebook and pen. I nod as Jake gestures for me to speak first. "I'll have the steak and chips with a side salad please"
I smile as my mouth waters at the thought of the food, I better be able to eat this.