012| One quiet ride

🌻🌼

The ride was quiet. Incredibly quiet, that Elliot could not stop himself from looking at her side. She spared him a glance and their eyes met; but she was first to look away, eyes back on the road ahead. Elliot presented a brief smile before looking away from her, to stare at the crimson clouds, a sign that the sun was making its way out.

He couldn't help the light yawn that escaped his lips, and he had to cover his mouth with the back of his hand as he unconsciously turned his head to her side. He met a slight frown and a questionable stare from her, and that was when he recalled his senses.

She looked away and so did Elliot, barely embarrassed. A fresh memory came to mind and he couldn't stop the slight smile that played on his face.

It has been days, and he barely got to see her. He was curious. Her images filled his thoughts, and he wasn't sure why. Somehow, she'd caught his interest, but he knew she wasn't a fan of his company. He wanted to change that. He felt the need to. There were times he'd stepped out of his flat, stood by the last staircase on his floor that led to the next floor and contemplated on showing up in front of her. In the end, he shook his head and returned home.

But, this time, he woke up earlier than usual, obvious to her usual time of leaving, and was ready to use a ride as an excuse.

He stared at her, both her hands held on close to the steering wheel and he could not wipe the smile off his face.

Gene could feel his burning gaze on her. It made her uncomfortable, but she was sure she did a good job at hiding that fact. Yes, she must have been out of her mind when she allowed him into her car. Strangely, she simply couldn't say no.

"We should listen to the radio." He stated as he reached for the radio, but Gene was quick to hit his hand. He withdrew his hand as he stared at her, wide-eyed, a little amused and yet quite surprised with her action. Gene spared him a glance, noticing the reaction on his face and the way his lips moved, obviously short for words. What she'd done surprised her.

"Sorry." She apologised, sparing him yet another glance. A clearer amusement played on his face as he chuckled.

"See, there's a little feistiness inside of you." He commented. Her brows furrowed a bit, not sure exactly what he meant.

"So, why don't you like the radio?" He had to ask and watched as she eventually shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't hate it, if that's what you're asking. I just... I prefer to ride in silence."

"Right." He stated as he nodded. "Not the social type. Noted." He added, and she had to spare him a strange look.

She drew to a stop at the red signal of the traffic light.

Elliot leaned a little closer to her and Gene leaned towards the door, farther away from him.

"You don't have many friends, do you?" He queried, and she drifted her eyes up to him. His question made her a little upset and this time, she felt the need to say something. It was time to take control.

"And I bet you have many girlfriends using this tactic you keep trying to pull on me."

He leaned away, amusement written all over his face. "Are you saying I'm flirting with you?"

A light embarrassment spread across her face and the harder she tried to hide it, the obvious it got. "I... No." In a strange and yet, firm manner, she stated. Elliot couldn't stop smiling.

He leaned closer again. "If I were, is it working?"

"Okay young man, you're moving too fast." She stated, as she nuzzled him away with both hands.

He laughed as he sat straight once more. She shook her head at him, though, slightly amused herself. The light turned green, and she drove away.

~ ~

Subconsciously, Gene had a light and simple smile plastered on her face since she got to the office. A few employees took notice, but none mentioned it to her face. There was a knock on her door.

"Yes, come in." She welcomed and soon, the door pushed open and Doris stepped in.

"Here are the documents you asked for," Doris explained, as she forwarded the stacked papers to Gene, who collected it.

"Thank you." She politely appreciated.

Doris took notice of the smile she still had on. In fact, she was the opposite of herself. "Can I say something?" Doris questioned and Gene's eyes were back on her.

"Yes, sure." Gene encouraged, and it only motivated Doris some more.

"In the past four years we've worked together, I don't think I've seen you smile and look as radiant as you do today. It's... you look beautiful."

Gene's smile broadened as she cupped her cheeks in her hands. "Really?" She queried, because of her unawareness to how much she'd been smiling since she got to the office, but it felt nice to hear such a comment.

Doris nodded at her question with a warm smile.

"Thank you." Gene appreciated, and soon, Doris was on her way out.

Gene let out a slow but sure sigh. She wondered what made her different today. She worked just as she had always done. What was different? An image of Elliot laughing back in the car popped into her mind, and her smile dropped. She rocked her head to shake off the thought.

No, no. She told herself, refusing to give it any more thought. Elliot? That was simply impossible.

Her phone vibrated on her desk and she reached for it. One look at the caller ID and she let out a light sigh before picking the call.

"Good morning, mum." She greeted once the phone was close to her ear.

"Yes, morning, dear." Her mother accepted, and Gene waited for what was to come next. "I messaged you an image through WhatsApp. Please, meet up with him for dinner."

Gene couldn't help the slight frown that appeared on her face.

"Wait, meet who? What dinner?"

"It's a date."

"A date!?" Gene repeated, surprised.

"Yes. I can assure you. He's a good man. Unfortunately, his wife passed away two years ago, so he's a widower with two kids."

Gene could not stop herself from widening her eyes at her mother's words.

"He owns his own publishing company, and he's doing pretty good for himself."

"Mum," Gene called, to stop her from speaking further. "I can't. I'm not..."

"Listen to me. You're thirty-seven and in less than a year, you'll be thirty-eight. You're beyond a good marriageable age and it's not like a young man will accept you. We need to bring down our standards. As a widower, he can't complain about your age. You just see him, like him, get married and be good to his children. I'm not asking for much, Genevieve."

Gene buried her head in her hand as she shut her eyes. She could feel a headache come on.

"Mum..."

"Can you at least meet him first before you make any more decision?" Her mother queried and Gene felt loss for words. This was what her mother did best—put her on a hot seat. She didn't want to do this, not after the last date-like thingy went sideways for her, but she knew her mother. She would never stop pestering her to do this.

"Fine. I'll go." Gene replied and heard a light cheer on her mother's part.

"Thank you. I love you, dear. Oh, don't be late. First impression matters. Have a nice day." She stated all at once and before Gene could say anything, the call got disconnected.

A louder sigh left her lips as she set the phone back on the table. An image of Elliot was back on her mind. This time, she shook her head a little gentler to shake off the thought, the image and somehow, it worked.

Gene rubbed her neck before leaning back to her seat. For the first time, she felt torn, and she wasn't sure what it was about.