Chapter 21

Alexis POV

I felt a tap on my shoulder, already guessing who it was before they spoke.

"Morning," Caroline's chipper voice greeted me by the lockers.

I gave her a forced smile.

Not, because I wasn't happy to see her, but rather due to the loss of capability to feel anything.

"H..Hey, Caroline" I greeted back, clearing my throat in the process. My voice was very raspy, maybe because I haven't spoken much for the past few days.

"Soooo," she began while helping me out with my books. "Let me sit with you during English?"

I narrowed my brows, she was already sitting with me in all my other classes, which allowed Daisy and Sammy to be together. However, my Asian friend wasn't taking this particular class and I wouldn't want Sam to be left out.

I was ready to let Caroline know, but she has spoken before I've got the chance.

"I can get Sam to sit with Abigail, I'm sure he would love that," she added with a finger tapping on her chin.

I hummed, thinking about her proposition. He sure would love to sit with one of the main cheerleaders during the two hours class. My friend was a thirsty teenager there was no denying that.

"Sounds g-good," I accepted and closed my locker.

You might be wondering since when Caroline and I have become friends. Well, I would have to take you back to the most heartbreaking day of my life, about a week ago... Even though it felt like yesterday.

After Vanessa's decision, which with respect I understood, she wanted to stop whatever it was between us before something has actually happened. I gave Amira a quick kiss on the crown of her head and left the room, fighting back the tears. I felt jittery and overwhelmed searching for someplace to be alone. Feeling myself suffocating inside I went outside of the school and hid on the side of the parking lot.

For a while, I was observing the students and their families leaving the field, which was an indication the game has ended. I was watching them laugh and joke with their families, holding my own tears. How I wish I had something so simple, and yet unreachable.

Crying pathetically because that's what I was - Pathetic. I yelped surprised when someone has covered my back with their coat. When I looked up Caroline was by my side giving me a sad smile. I allowed her to console me in a hug where we sat until Daisy and Isabel came on looking for us.

Since then we've exchanged our numbers, and I found myself more and more comfortable in her presence finding it quite comforting in my days of misery. Of course, I couldn't tell anyone why I've felt so shitty and gave as little as no explanation to my friends, which concerned them deeply.

I would have never risked Vanessa's and Amira's safety, not even a bit. Caroline has made her own assumption, believing she found me being so upset, due to turning down her brother because I was gay and didn't want to come out. How did she think of that? I didn't know... but I played along. Anything that hasn't led to my English teacher was fine. As scary as it might be, I found myself not caring about anything else than her safety.

"How was Saturday at Daisy's?" Caroline asked curiously while we walked towards the classroom.

Ah, yes. Daisy's family invited us for dinner on Saturday. I was happy we got to spend some time in her environment and with the twins. Mason has really enjoyed himself, even though we always had to keep an eye on him.

It was difficult to be on the suicide watch, but rules were rules. No going to the bathroom by himself was one of them. Sam had to accompany him inside if he ever had a need to go.