twenty six

AUGUST 15, 1991. LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA.

EVIE FLIES OUT to LA in mid-August to meet up with Dave, Kurt and Krist to watch their show at the Roxy. It's been about a month since she got the news from John and Evie somehow convinced herself not to tell Dave about it. In a strange way by not telling Dave it's not real yet. If it's just her, Mia, Ollie and John who know, it's not something that anyone else can worry about. It's like the stress is on hold. But it comes with a price, she's felt guilty about keeping it all to herself for weeks. She knows it will hurt Dave when she finally tells him, he'll be upset she didn't tell him straight away.

She's been acting off since July and Dave's noticed, but she's put on a happy face and swept it under the rug. Evie recognises that it's insane to keep it to herself, but at the moment it's helping her cope. For the time being, she just needs to see Dave again, watch the boys play and savour their time together. Tonight is the last night they will have together before Dave goes over to Europe until September.

On the flight over Evie thinks about how she hasn't seen Dave play in months. She's excited to see the boys doing their thing and to hear all their new stuff again.

It's only been a couple of days since she last saw Dave, she couldn't fly out with him and the boys due to work, but touching down at LAX Evie is still so excited to see him. It scares her sometimes how much she loves him and how quickly she misses him. She can't imagine what would ever happen if she lost him and she tries not to think about it.

Dave meets her at baggage claim, wasting no time to have her in his arms. He rests his head on top of hers and holds her for a moment.

"How does two days without you feels like a lifetime?" He says, pulling back to get a good look at his girlfriend.

"I know, right? It's kind of sickening how much we miss each other," she laughs.

"Fuck happy couples," Dave says playfully, grabbing Evie's hand in his.

"Fuck em," she says, leaning into kiss him, emphasising the sarcasm in her point.

He laughs as he turns to lead them out the front of the airport and promptly hails a cab for them to hop into.

"So, New York tomorrow, huh?" Dave asks as they settle into the back seat of the taxi.

"I know, I can't believe it," she shakes her head. She's been struggling to realise that in two days she will be walking through the doors of Rolling Stone Magazine's head offices to begin the internship of her dreams. She has a flight into New York tomorrow afternoon to check into the hotel tomorrow night.

"I'm so excited to see you guys play tonight. It's been too long," Evie says, changing the subject.

"You really can't talk about yourself for more than a minute," Dave smiles.

"Well I like talking about you," she tells him, squeezing his hand in hers.

"Well I like you," he says.

"Oh yeah? Well I'm glad because your kind of stuck with me," Evie tells him.

"Good."

They're dropped off at the hotel the boys are at in West Hollywood where Dave leads them up towards the room they're sharing. It's the first time she's gone to stay with him while on tour and it feels kind of exciting. Even though Evie is Dave's steady girlfriend, some part of her is still living out her groupie fantasy. Being in West Hollywood, right by the Sunset Strip and the Chateau Marmont, she's living her big 'sleeping with the rock star' fantasy. She laughs at her warped view of the situation and Dave notices.