Chapter 50: Sokovia

*Okay, yes this chapter is really long, but I didn't want to break it up partly because I didn't know where and because it really is just one long part. So sorry about the fact that you have to read 5000+ words in one chapter, but it felt right haha*

The jet rattled as it hit some turbulence, although Katya didn't really register it. Her music was blasting through her headphones, the beat filling up her ears, getting her blood pumping. 

It was something she liked to do before going on a mission. With music on her ears, she was able to close herself off from the world for a couple hours and focus on the task at hand. 

In her hands, she had her tablet with all the information they had about the base they were about to raid. Honestly, Katya had lost count of how many secret HYDRA bases they had conquered these last few months, but this one felt different. The readings from the building were promising. They were definitely hiding something big in there.

But with that came a lot of agents protecting the damn thing, which meant more fighting for her and the team, that was scattered all through the jet.

Clint was assembling his arrows, making sure they were battle ready, while being in conversation with Thor. What they were talking about, she couldn't hear, but it probably had something to do with the scepter. 

Natasha was flying, her birthday present sitting in the holster on her hip. She never left the tower without it anymore. 

Tony was talking to her from the co-pilot seat, but it looked like his rambling went in one ear and out the other. Their conversation was either about the mission too, or about Pepper, who had been a huge help to him. After the battle of New York, Tony had to deal with a lot of PTSD and while he had struggled with it badly, she had always been his rock. 

Steve sat across Katya, his shield at his feet. His eyes scanned over the pages of the book he was reading. Banner had kindly suggested a couple he should read to catch up to everything he had missed, the classics mostly, so he had an idea of what the others were talking about. 

Speaking of Banner, he had his own set of headphones on, although Katya was sure they didn't blast dance/rock music like hers did. He was reading as well, although his book looked a lot more advanced and science-y than Steve's did. 

Sokovia, that was where they were going. Katya couldn't say she had ever been to that base, but she had known of its existence. It had just never been used as a science base, so it hadn't popped into her mind when brainstorming about the possible locations of the scepter. 

She actually didn't know much about the base, only that it was hard to reach, with thick forest around it and a strategic placement on higher ground and that is what she was reading now on her tablet. It wouldn't be easy to infiltrate, but then again, they wouldn't be the Avengers if they couldn't do the impossible. 

Natasha yelled something through the jet from her seat in the front, but since Katya had her music at volume 'hearing damage', she didn't hear what it was. She looked at Steve for help, who signaled they were thirty minutes out. 

Stark had taken the liberty of designing new suits for everyone a while ago. He was always working on improvements, new fabrics or new features that would make the fighting easier. Everything he could to protect his friends.

He had asked Katya about a signature color for herself, but she just told him to pick it for her. Natasha had her red, Clint was font of the color purple, Steve blue, Bruce turned literally green, Tony's suit has been red since the beginning and Thor's cape was red too. Basically, everyone had a color, whereas Katya just really liked her blacks.