Chapter 12

Riley

Most girls at this school have never really liked me. But I kept my head down and didn't start anything with anyone. But I guess that changed when Grayson started paying attention to me. He was definitely worth it though. I didn't know what to expect, but I could handle it. What he has already given me by sharing those photos is more than I could have even dreamed. I now knew who my parents were and what they looked like. They were good people. That was such a relief. As we walked down the hall. A girl named Kirsten walked right into me with her shoulder. "Watch where you're going." She spat. I kept on going. "Are you going to say anything to her?" Grayson asked. "No, it won't make any difference." He didn't look pleased with that answer.

In class. I got a few dirty looks. But that was it. I could see the jealous colors were starting to have a mix of revenge. I don't know what happened during lunch break, but I guess the girls all decided I shouldn't be hanging out with Grayson. I continued to ignore them and tried to actually pay attention in class. My head was also hurting more than before. That wasn't helping. After the bell rang, I heard one of the girls say "slut" as she walked past. I don't know why I couldn't just let that one go. When I stepped into the hall I got her attention. "What did you say to me?" "I called you a slut. We see you going off with him during lunch. We know what you are doing to keep his attention. The whole school knows."

I couldn't believe this. I have one guy interested in me in all my years here and immediately I'm labeled a slut. Unbelievable. Grayson spoke first. "You don't know anything about her. You have no right to go around calling people that. She wasn't doing anything you are suggesting." "Oh sure, the hottest guy in school just happens to fall for the loner freak." She said. "I'm not a loner or a freak. I just don't have time to waste on petty gossip and conceited girls like you." I told her. She took a step toward me and got right in my face. "You know what you are Riley. He could do so much better than you, trailer trash." Grayson stepped in again. "Riley isn't trash and I don't ever want to here you or any of your friends call her that again. And she happens to be the kindest, smartest and most beautiful girl I have met at this school." "Well, then I guess that means she's kept you occupied so you haven't had a chance to meet anyone else." She said as she walked away.

I was so angry and hurt. I didn't know how to handle confrontation like this. I started walking toward my next class. My head was about to explode with the intense pain. "Wait, Amber!" Grayson called as I was leaving. I didn't stop. I couldn't do this right now in front of everyone. We had created a scene in the hallway. My emotions were all over the place. I needed to be alone and calm down. Then Grayson reached out and took my hand. I felt the shot of electricity shoot up my arm and into my head. I felt dizzy with the overwhelming surge of power.  He must have felt something too because he immediately let go. I crumpled to the ground when the energy dissipated. He immediately knelt down beside me. "Are you okay? What are you feeling?" he asked. "I'm not really sure actually. I just got like a rush of energy to my head. It's really hurting." I told him. "I should take you to the nurse." "No, its alright. It's not as bad now. But we really need to talk about this power thing later." He agreed, and I went on to my next class. I was actually late and felt all the eyes fall on me. I hated to know people were staring.  The teacher simply gave me a stern look. That was a relief. I didn't want him drawing any more attention to me.

Class droned on and my head was hurting less and less thankfully. I had to figure out what was going on with that. I knew it had something to do with Grayson. I just didn't know what. I wanted to talk to him, but not in art class. I knew this conversation had to be private. This was something very personal I believed. When we finally saw each other again, he was broadcasting concern from every inch of him. I think he was more worried than I was. And I believe he knew what was happening. So that didn't give me much hope. He stayed well out of touching distance. I guess that was safer. "I'm feeling better Grayson, don't worry." I assured him in class. That didn't seem to ease any of the anxiety he was carrying. "When class is over, I want to take you to work. I can skip. Its not a problem." He leaned towards me and whispered, "I already have my diploma. I'm just here for you." His words and his proximity sent a chill up my spine. I could smell his fresh scent. I wished I could lean in closer. "Okay." Was all I could manage to say. My attraction to him was definitely getting stronger. And it wasn't just the fact that he was extremely handsome or endearingly sweet. Even knowing we had a past didn't explain my unusual need to be near him. I felt somehow compelled to seek him out and simply be in his presence. It was like I felt content and calm when he was near me.  Was this how love felt? I didn't think so. It couldn't happen that fast. I mean, clearly, I cared very deeply for him at one time. But my brain didn't remember that. This was an emotional bonding that I couldn't understand.