TEN

CHAPTER TEN
' YOU   KISS   YOUR  
MOTHER   WITH   THAT  
MOUTH ? '

Eddie sighed as she entered a house, rubbing her forehead. Her eyes flickered around the room as she closed the door behind her. Her footsteps echoed around the vacant hallway as she moved toward the clothing rack. She let out another breath, and she pulled her hat from her head and her coat from her shoulders while suppressing a shiver. She tucked her hair behind her ear as she continued forward, her footsteps heavy.

She stopped in front of a stairway and closed her eyes briefly. She stood there for a moment, running her tongue over her teeth before beginning the slow ascent of the steps. Her hand ran along the railing as she eventually made her way to the top. She nearly fell into the bathroom, gasping the sink with a tight grip as her eyes flickered up.

She inspected herself in the mirror, her skin seeming to turn more lifeless and off-coloured as the seconds ticked away. Her skin stretched over her face, her cheekbones hollow and her eyes slightly sunken.

She shook her head, freezing as her head began to pulse. Her eyes drooped until she fell onto the toilet, cradling her head in her hands. The world began to dissolve around her as she gave out a sigh, letting herself fall to the ground.

\_|_/\_|_/\_|_/

Eddie let out a sigh as she faced the familiar house, pushing her hands into her pockets. She did not move for a moment, her eyes remaining on the house. She rolled her eyes, life filling her face once again as she continued forward. She pushed open the door, looking around the hallway before shutting the door gently behind her. She moved through the house until she reached the living room, falling into an armchair facing the scenery projected by the window.

The door opened, and her eyes flickered up to a man dressed in a completely black suit. He clasped his hands in front of him as he stared down at her. Her eyes wandered up to meet his as they softened.

'Hello,' she whispered out.

'Good evening,' he replied, nodding his head as he knelt before her and moved, so they locked eyes. 'Come on,' he beckoned gently and grasped her arm, pulling her to her feet. She stumbled slightly, closing her eyes. Her shoulders slouched, and her head dropped slightly, as it rolled.

He pulled off her jacket and caught her before she dropped to the ground. His movements were calm, and everything seemed to be measured and understood as he lowered her back onto the chair. He unbuttoned her cufflink and rolled up the sleeve.

'Is it worth it?' she questioned, her head lolled slightly to the side.

'What do you mean?' he replied, tilting his head as he sank back onto his heels.

'Is there a point,' she paused, catching her breath for a moment before continuing. 'To keep going? Tell me the truth.' She swallowed. 'Are we just wasting chemicals?'

He parted his mouth as he wetted his lips, 'Why would you think that?'

'Because we've been doing this for three years, Hermes, and I still feel like shit.'

'Of course, you will, it's chemo-'

'-Stop dodging the question.'

Hermes' mouth opened and closed like a fish gasping for air until he let out a sigh, looking away. 'This is honesty, Miss. I don't know. I couldn't tell you whether we're succeeding or we're just putting you through Hell for the sake of it.'

She did not reply for a moment. 'So I'll repeat the question. Is it worth it?'

Silence filled the room until Hermes nodded. 'Yes.' Eddie raised an eyebrow in reply. 'Because you need to find your siblings. They need you, and you need them. I can't decide for you, Eddie, but I can tell you this: You might not think you're worth it, but I damn well know you are. You tell yourself that there's something broken with you, but I know you're not. I'll try my best to pull you through.'

She stared at him for a moment. 'You kiss your mother with that mouth?' she questioned gently.

He stifled a smile as he shook his head. 'Wake up, bonehead.'