5

*super long chapter

Today Korra and I are in the gym with Mako and Bolin, and it's so early. I just can't focus, not right now. The mornings are my weakness, I'm useless, barely alive, hanging on by a thread. It would be nice to be back on Air Temple Island asleep in my nice warm bed, but Tenzin said if he's going let Korra be a probender, then I have to be with her at all times to make sure she doesn't get into any trouble. And if I don't, then it's right back to the South Poles for me, and Korra will be put on lockdown where the only thing she'd be able to do is her airbending training. That's ok, I'm use to watching over Korra, back when we lived with our parents, it was the norm.

If you haven't guessed it, last night Tenzin found out that Korra is a probender. When I saw him enter the arena, I remember my heart dropping, literally. I felt like I was about to poop out my heart! He of course found me and basically said that it's back to the south for me. I tried to explain to him that probending was actually good for Korra, and she's doing a lot better here than she does with him. He didn't like that, but once he saw that Korra was using his teachings to evade her opponents, he realized I was right. He actually apologized to Korra, and Korra is now an official member of the Fire Ferrets, and according to Bolin, so am I. I won't be bending whatsoever, but I like being apart of something, so I'll just go with it.

"What's the big idea with making me train this early in the morning?" Korra asks. "The morning is evil, and Kitty is dead."

"We're the rookies," Bolin answers as Korra tosses him the ball. "So we get the worst time slot in the gym."

"And you're the rookiest of us all. We gotta get you up to speed if we wanna survive in the tournament. Deal with it," Mako snaps.

"You deal with it!" Korra rebuttals as she aggressively tosses the ball back to Mako.

I wince as the ball hits him hard in the stomach, flinging him backwards, causing him to land hard on his back.

"You guys are children," I groan.

"There are my little hard-working street urchins," a voice says from behind. "It's an honor to finally meet you, Avatar, Avatar's sister."

"It's Kitty," I tell him politely.

"And you are ...?" Korra asks.

"Butakha," he introduces himself as he tips his hat, exposing his bald head. My jaw drops when he takes out a huge wad of cash and hands it to Mako.

"I run this whole pro-bending shebang. Here's your winnings from the last match. BUT first, you owe me for the Avatar's new gear, gym, and equipment rentals from last month, rent on your apartment, and a personal loan for groceries."

Mako stares sadly at his empty hand and then glares accusingly at Bolin.

"What?" Bolin asks innocently. "I'm a growing boy!"

"Oh, and one more small item of business," Butakha says before leaving. "The Fire Ferrets need to ante up thirty thousand yuans for the championship pot."

My eyes widen. I've always been fortunate enough to not really need money because I've lived in a compound all my life, but coming here to the city makes me realize that I've been privileged enough to not have to go without because of lack of finances, and even though it's been great so far, I really wish it could've been different, ya know? I just wish I had enough yuans for the championship pot so my sister and our new friends can be in the match. Of course I have some money saved from the allowance mom gave Korra and I for when we'd go shopping in the South Poles, but it's nothing close to thirty thousand yuans.

"Thirty thousand yuans?!" Bolin and I exclaim.

"Sorry, kids," Butakha apologizes. "You got 'til the end of the week to come up with the dough, or else you're out of the tournament."