You Say Brilliant, I Say Mental

author's note: hello beautiful people! it's such a pleasure to meet you. i hope you grow to love elodie and fred as much as i have. WARNING: it's a slow burn. (there will be agony) affection and love to any who take the time to read my silly little words.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

September 1, 1992

"This is a bad idea."

The harsh wind roared in Elodie Florence's ears, her black hair tangling into a knotted web.

"Unlike every other idea we've ever had?" George Weasley grinned, tugged on her arm to help her onto the roof of the Hogwarts Express.

"Good point." Elodie grasped the cool tin of the train to balance herself, her best friend Fred Weasley hauling himself out of the window after them. He grabbed her shoulder to steady himself.

"Wicked." Fred laughed, peering out at the scenery.

Elodie guessed they must've been going 150 miles per hour; the lakes and trees swirling into a viridescent blur.

"When do we jump?" Elodie yelled, squinting her eyes through the wind. This had been the plan, though now it seemed a bit ridiculous. 'Let's jump off the train!' Fred had declared. 'Escape the hellhole of homework before it's too late!'

"Nobody will be jumping today, dears."

"What the-" George swiveled around, almost knocking Elodie off the roof. There, standing forcefully (no snack cart in sight) as if the wind had no effect on her elderly body, stood the trolley lady.

"Fuck?" Offered Fred.

"No one has left this train in all my years. I'll be damned if you three do." The trolley woman growled, only- she didn't look like the nice old lady that they knew: her fingers had formed long talons and her mouth a sharp grin.

"Okay, well, maybe if we could just... talk about this?" George suggested meekly.

"Get back on the train, dear." The trolley lady cocked her head.

"No thanks, I don't much fancy the polyester seating." Fred smirked.

"Fredrick Weasley, now is not the time. She has claws!" Elodie hissed at him.

"Best listen to your girlfriend, love. Come on now, get back on the train." She crept towards them, a noticeable snarl to her voice.

Elodie's head frantically looked around their surroundings, taking in any possible way to evade her. On one side of the train, a large rocky cliff. On the other, a steep fall into a lake. And, even worse, behind them: a tunnel.

Fred had pulled out his wand, and so had George- neither of them noticing what Elodie saw. She grabbed the front of Fred's t-shirt, dragging his head to look around.

"George- tunnel!" Elodie shrieked, the narrow hole in the side of the mountain drawing nearer still.

"Tunnel?"

"Go!" Fred jumped off the roof, clinging to the side of the train. Elodie followed his lead, and so did George. The tunnel was upon them, and Elodie flattened herself against the steel railing. She could feel the rough concrete snatching at her skin.

"Bet we wish we had gotten back on the train now, don't we, dears?" The trolley lady was back to normal, looking smugly at their petrified faces. She had apparated back into the train. The tunnel was ending, and now even worse, they were dangling off a cliff even higher than the one previous.