• 142 •

Cecil realised Xue was planning to keep it a secret after all, not speaking a word after that. She glanced down, noticing that Xue was still playing with her hair. 

Somehow, she did not mind it. 

However, it did not occur to her that anyone would find enjoyment playing with her hair. Though, that was currently the expression she saw on Xue’s face.

His handsome face reflected the enjoyment of playing with her hair.

“Is it...that fun? Playing with my hair?” Cecil questioned with a frown. 

Xue smiled softly at her question.

“You know, Hana recommended me to read some of those romance stories many women enjoy,” Xue started to say, still playing with her hair. “In those stories that I have read, it seemed that people enjoyed playing with the hair of the person they liked.” 

Cecil was so shocked at the fact that Xue had read some romance novels given by Hana, she did not know what to say. 

“It was the same with my father and mother, and my mother would ask that same question to my father.” 

“What did your father answer?” 

“He simply said yes, and I asked my father why,” Xue smiled a little wider at the fond memory, sighing. “He said it can’t be explained in words, but that I’ll know it someday.” 

Xue raised his head up, his fingers brushing through the strands of her hair. He met her eyes, and finally stopped playing with her hair. 

“Now, I can understand why my father answered that,” he let out a short, breathy chuckle. “It is just simply enjoyable, because I like you.” 

Cecil went still, not knowing what expression she should make or what answer she should give, not that she received the confession directly from Xue. 

However, Xue did not seem to expect an answer from her. 

He only maintained his eye contact with her, giving her a small, lop-sided smile showing a tiny hint of white teeth. 

Xue, he…

It’s...it’s the same...

All of a sudden, Cecil could see the image of Kai standing right next to Xue. Their actions, appearance and expression mimicked one another. However, that was not surprising since both of them were the same person. 

“Xue! Cecil! Let’s bring...what’s your name?” Hana trailed off, looking down at Shin with a sheepish expression. 

“Shin.”

Hana beamed, nodding at Shin. 

Seeing her bright grin, Shin could only look away. It reminded him of his friends back at the orphanage with their bright grin, despite the uncertain fate of their parents, and it made him upset. 

“Let’s bring Shin to get something to eat!” Hana exclaimed towards Cecil and Xue, waving her hands enthusiastically at them. 

K’xug raised his eyebrows at the couple.

Cecil hesitated, looking at Xue and she noticed his outstretched hand towards her.

“Cecil,” Xue called out softly, offering his hand. “Let’s go.” 

She could still the image of Kai standing next to him, both of them mimicking one another and once again, a recurring question popped out inside her mind. 

Do I like him? 

During her time in the academy, Kai had confessed his feelings to her as well and just like Xue, he did not seem to expect anything in return. He simply...continued to like her, even if she could not.