Amelia

Ellie had arrived to her mother's place just four days before Christmas. Her mother was more than happy to allow Hermione to stay over for the holidays, and prepared an abundance of food, much to Ellie's dismay.

Hermione and Ellie sat on the couch together as Ellie's mother sat in one of the cozy chairs in front of them. Hermione drank an herbal tea of various flavors with extra ginger as Ellie preferred a simple hot chocolate.

Ellie's mother, Amelia, set her cup of tea down on the coffee table in front of her and adjusted herself to be comfortable.

"So, Hermione," Amelia started.

Hermione set down her tea on the table to give her full attention to the mother.

"Yes, Miss Evans?"

"Please, dear, call me Amelia," Ellie's mother requested.

Ellie gave a surprised look to her girlfriend. Never in her life had she heard her mother place one of her friends on a first-name basis.

"Ellie tells me how intelligent you are. You're being called the 'brightest witch of your age', eh?" Amelia asked.

Hermione blushed as she tried to laugh it off. "Ellie's being too kind. I just a put a lot of hard work in what I do."

"She's just being modest, Mom," Ellie interrupted.

"Have you thought about what you want to do when you graduate?" Amelia questioned.

"Hmm... I haven't gave it much thought. I guess I've always had my nose in a book to think about my future, " Hermione replied honestly.

"You know, Mom, she really could be anything she wanted. With her ambition and intelligence, she could even become the Minister of Magic!" Ellie interrupted once more, earning a glare from her mother.

"Ellie, honey, stop interrupting us. Hermione and I are trying to have a conversation. But since you seem to want to answer everything, why don't you tell me about what your plans are? You haven't told me what you want to do yet," Amelia scolded in a motherly tone.

Ellie's cheeks turned bright red with embarrassment at her mother's words. She looked to Hermione, who didn't seem to notice anything wrong.

"Go on, then. Tell me," Amelia pushed.

Ellie set down her hot chocolate on the coffee table as she drew her knees to her chest.

"I-I don't really know either, Mom. I mean, I've always been drawn to Defense Against the Dark Arts. It's actually the only class where Hermione isn't top of the class," Ellie replied as she smirked at her girlfriend.

"As I've noticed, dear. You ever thought of becoming an Auror?" Amelia asked in a much more calmer tone.

Ellie laughed at her mother, who kept her face straight. "You're kidding, right?"

"No," Amelia responded flatly.

"Oh. Well, Aurors are only for the elite. The best of the best. I mean, I've got to be practically perfect to even apply. Not a speck of dirt on me. I wouldn't even make it past the first round of training, considering they'd even look at my application," Ellie responded.

"Miss Evans- I mean, Amelia, I apologize for interrupting. But your daughter is doubting herself. She is very much qualified to become an Auror. She's really smart, you know. And in DADA, she always is top of the class. She has a true talent for it, and not many people have it," Hermione interrupted.

Amelia looked at her daughter with a small smile.

"Professor Slughorn says you would made a great Auror. Why didn't you?" Ellie asked.