Ch 145: Mock Combat With Yato

"Shining Onee-san, Pine-Dr. Lin Yie," Nightingale asks, "What are you doing here?"

Lin Yie turns around and sees Nightingale behind him.

"Liz," Shining says, "Lin Yie came to see you."

"Ah, um," Lin Yie coughs lightly, "I'm thinking about having lunch with you."

"Lunch? In the cafeteria?"

"Um."

Nightingale looks at the clock, "But we still have one more hour before lunch break. Pineapple-Dr. Lin, don't you need to work?"

"Uh..."

Can't you see I don't want to?

"I already finished my tasks for today," Lin Yie lies with a straight face (Wait... does he even have any tasks, to begin with?), "but more importantly, I wanted to check in with you to see how you are doing. Ansel has been telling me how you keep slacking off at work."

"Really? I don't remember saying that."

Lin Yie turns his head slowly.

Ansel in a lab coat walks past Lin Yie with a stack of documents in his hands. He rolls his eyes, "Someone who can't even stay awake at work shouldn't come here to lecture others."

Shining and Nightingale chuckle.

Ansel disappears into a lab without waiting for Lin Yie's rebuttal.

"Liz," Shining asks, "are you done with your work?"

Nightingale nods, "I already finished mixing the ingredients. Now I just need Ansel to approve it."

Shining pats Nightingale's head, "Then, you can go."

"But it's not the time for lunch yet."

"It's fine. You can leave early as long as you have completed your tasks," Shining says, "not to mention, this is not your first time leaving at this hour to have lunch with Lin Yie."

Nightingale blushes. She steals a few glances at Lin Yie, who seems oblivious to what Shining said.

"You can go now, Lin Yie." Shining pats his shoulder, "Take care of Liz, will you?"

Just like that, Lin Yie managed to bring Nightingale to the cafeteria one hour earlier than the allotted lunch break.

Lin Yie and Nightingale chat as they walk. In the beginning, it's just Lin Yie asking the questions and Nightingale answering them mechanically, but as time goes on, Nightingale feels comfortable enough to speak.

Rhodes Island's Psychologist

"Making drugs is so hard." Nightingale looks up at the clear, blue sky. A few birds fly past the clouds. "The other people know much. I'm the only one who doesn't know anything."

"That's because you're dumb."

"What did you say?"

"I said you didn't study enough." Lin Yie changes his words, "After all, the others had much more time to study. Take Ansel for example. He reads every night. Only with this much effort will you catch up with them."

"That sounds so weird."

"What?"

"That reasoning sounds weird."

"Tsk."

"It is weird," Nightingale suddenly says, "Pineapple Bun."

"Um?" Lin Yie pauses, "Why did you call me 'Pineapple Bun' again?"