Ch 146: Another Devil To Take Care Of (Part 1)

Yato is bandaging her wound on the ground after the mock combat, while Lin Yie watches her with a guilty conscience.

"Let me call Ansel or Liz over to treat your injury," Lin Yie says.

"No need." Yato shakes her head, "I'm not that fragile. It's just a small wound... No, it doesn't even count as one. I just need to bandage it."

"Is that alright?"

"This is pretty common on battlefields." Yato says, "We don't always have the luxury of having medics on standby."

But this is not a battlefield.

Yato's movements are smooth and practised. She manages to bandage her hands quickly. After moving her hand a little to make sure the bandage is secure, she gets up slowly, "That's it for me. Now let's talk about you."

Lin Yie lowers his head immediately, "I'm sorry."

"Why did you apologize?"

"Because I hurt you."

Yato chuckles, "Don't worry about it. It's not serious."

She switches to a serious look, "How did you do it? Even though I held back, it shouldn't have ended like this. And that power, I'd never seen it before. Can you tell me about it?"

Lin Yie nods and repeats what he told Shining.

Yato is not as calm as Shining. When Lin Yie mentions Skadi, her expression changes.

"That person from the fourth floor? So you really came into contact with her."

Lin Yie nods and proceeds to describe the wave leaping strike.

Yato stares at him in surprise.

After a moment of silence, she says, "That ability is incredible. If I didn't experience it firsthand, I would have never believed it. Something that can quickly transform a weakling into a powerful fighter is just too much."

Weakling? Me?

"But based on what she said, only her race and humans like you can use it, right?" Yato asks, "Are you descendants of the sea?"

"I'm not sure." Lin Yie shakes his head, "I think it's just a myth."

"Even myths are based on reality, not to mention her origin is so mysterious." Yato says, "But more importantly, you can use that ability. Did you notice anything different in your body?"

Lin Yie shakes his head.

"Really? Then, I don't understand. Shining is Sarkaz's sword saint. She shouldn't have made a mistake on this." Yato frowns slightly, "Then, what do you think?"

Lin Yie pauses, "What do I think?"

"About that Skadi from the fourth floor." Yato says softly, "I'm not sure if it's good or bad for you to approach her. After all, we are different... Anyway, I don't think you'll listen, so only time will tell. Back on topic, this ability is really outstanding. Even though it doesn't last long, it's more than enough to surprise those who underestimate you. Use it well."

Lin Yie nods, "Thank you, Yato. And I don't think Skadi is a bad person. One day, you will come to know her better."

"Really? I'm quite curious about her." Yato smiles, "Anyway, there's no need to thank me. Can you still use that ability?"

Lin Yie shakes his head.

Wave leaping strike is very powerful, but its shortcoming is also very obvious, that is, after using it, Lin Yie feels drained. He can't even hold a piece of paper, let alone his sword.

"How long can you use that ability?"

Lin Yie shakes his head again, "I'm not sure."

"Then, we'll try again tomorrow." Yato says, "I got careless, but I won't make the same mistake again."

Lin Yie smiles bitterly and nods.

Even though he doesn't have a precise answer for Yato's question, Lin Yie thinks that he can use wave leaping strike for about a minute. If a fight were to last any longer than that, he would lose automatically. Also, this ability only grants him strength. It doesn't make him a great swordsman. Now that the element of surprise is gone, Lin Yie has no confidence in beating Yato in one minute.

Yato seems to understand what Lin Yie's thinking. She says, "Don't overthink it. I didn't take my defeat personally, so I won't make things difficult for you. I just think practicing your ability will help you master it faster, and knowing your limit is very important for real combat."

Lin Yie nods, "I understand. I'll do my best to beat you again."

Yato smiles, "That'd be great."

And so the training ends here.

After returning to his room, Lin Yie falls asleep immediately.

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Maybe it's because of the wave leaping strike, Lin Yie doesn't wake up until the next day afternoon. Even then, he still feels tired.

He drags himself out of bed.

Before going to the cafeteria for "breakfast," Lin Yie checks his phone.

There's a message.

"Dr. Lin, please take care of Ifrit. Silence."

------------------------------

Draft by Demosama