07

AN- 2021 edit- nvm im still awake

"It has to be tonight, Noah."

Jace had left the house with his usual unapproachable guard up, so Pace and Bethany came over after dinner, and were now sitting on my bedroom carpet.

I groaned. "Can't you guys just come in with me? I won't be able to do much by myself. And we all know his room is like, no man's land. Uncharted territory." Well. That wasn't exactly true anymore. "I'm fearing for my life, here. My life."

"Stop being such a pussy," Bethany said matter of factly. "He's not actually going to hurt you."

"Easy for you to say," I hissed. "You're not the one who's going to be leaving here in a bodybag tonight."

"Fine," Lee said, huffing. "We'll help you with the main bit. But if anything goes wrong, we're not coming back for your corpse."

The four of us arranged our weapons of torture, (the deadliest including honey and glue) and changed into black clothing to be dramatic. We heard Jace stumble into his room at around midnight, and from the sound of crashing coming from behind the walls, he was probably drunk, which meant he would be out cold. Just to be safe, we waited half an hour before gently creaking open his bedroom door. We used the subtle light from our phones to see what we were doing as we tried to be as quiet as possible. Not laughing became even harder as we started hastily redecorating his room. We shushed Pacey's loud cackle in between breathy, terrified laughter, before Lee turned to me, barely visible in the dark of the large bedroom.

"Quick," he whispered. "Go up to him."

"Why am I always the one who has to be sacrificed?"

"Because you're the virgin," Pacey hissed.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "So are you!"

He scoffed. "Not spiritually."

"Guys," Beth interrupted, her low voice on the verge of cracking into a laugh. "We need to hurry up. Just go, Noah. We'll be right behind you."

Even though I knew they couldn't see, I rolled my eyes and carefully made my way to Jace's bedside, thinking of what I could do. My vision now adjusted, I took in his unconscious features for a second. His bed hair was in a thick, dark mess around his forehead, and his plump lips were parted open slightly against his pillow. He twitched his nose slightly and I fought the urge to smile at how innocent the supposed bad boy looked in his sleep. He was a knife, most of the time. But for once, he looked soft enough to touch without cutting myself at the edges. 

"Noah, hurry up." Beth hissed quietly at me.

I blinked out of my trance, and then hurriedly took out some whipped cream from my bag. "Sorry," I lied. "I was thinking about what to do."

Distracting myself from why I had wanted to watch him sleep, I popped the cap off of the bottle with nervous hands. But just as I was about to squeeze, I stepped closer and knocked the bed frame slightly with my foot. We all collectively froze at the sound and sucked in a breath, my eyes going wide in anticipation. I watched in shock as the boy in front of me scrunched up his nose, and sleepily opened his eyes. I heard my friends scramble behind me and run to the door, instantly abandoning me.

"Guys," I hissed in exasperation, frantically looking around as if I suddenly had a magical solution. I couldn't bolt. He was looking straight at me.

Right behind me my ass, Beth.

"Noah?" For some reason, fear wasn't the only thing I felt when I heard his voice say my name, gentle, yet rumbling with the roughness of sleep.