62

☀︎

The phone beeps three times before his familiar voice carries through the device. Gunshots ring through the tense air in the distance and I fucking hate myself for not grabbing my holster, it's so stupid and irresponsible. 

"Eloisa?" Xavier asks. 

"The house is under attack. Get some fucking men here, now! I don't believe we're able to take them down alone, Xavier. I have Santi and Oriana here with me, they can't suffer because of this," Telling him this in one silent breath is exhausting, I don't want Santi to hear my words, which is why I lower my voice. 

Looking down at the two sitting on the floor next to me. Oriana is hugging a crying Santi to her body, her eyes conveying the pure fear she's trying to hide from her terrified son. My heart pounds painfully in my chest, they're my responsibility now.

"What the fuck?" He exclaims in disbelief. "Marc, get in contact with the three bases in district four, we need them at the house right now. We're under attack."

"Do you have a safety room to bring your family into? I can't hide them away in a fucking bathroom," Oriana nods to me in thanks and I wave her off instantly. 

"In my office, there's a door behind the large mirror in the bathroom. Hide them in there and you should stay there as well, do not endanger yourself."

"You and I both know I won't hide from them," My voice is laced with finality, I decide to keep Xavier on the phone when I face Oriana and Santi again. 

The two of them are sitting on the ground, I desperately try to ignore how much Santi reminds me of Gio right now, "Guys, follow me. We need to get you a good hiding spot and Xavier told me just the place."

They follow me when I open the door to the bathroom, having the phone pressed against my ear, we hurry through a hallway in the back and run upstairs. Santi is crying behind me and his sobs etch into my heart, slicing at the pieces I have left. 

Oriana is brave, her comforting words are aimed at her son, none of them showcasing how much fear she must be feeling.

Loud footsteps suddenly sound in the hallway upstairs and I instantly push Santi and Oriana into a room to the right, grabbing a vase from the shelf next to me a large man steps into my line of sight. Not wasting a second I pounce on him instantly, smashing the vase against his head. 

Clutching a piece of the broken glass in my hand, it rips the skin open when I try to stab him. He blocks my advance and a loud gunshot rings out in the hallway, the adrenaline pumping through my veins won't allow me to register who it hit or the way my body took an involuntary step back. Slicing his neck open he falls onto the floor in front of me, I steal his gun from him and open the door to them again. 

"Close your eyes, Santi," I smile at him, Oriana places her hands over his eyes and they follow me down the hallway, into Xavier's office. I breathe out in relief when we're alone in here, "In the bathroom behind the mirror, there's a hiding spot and you'll stay there until I come and get you. Don't unlock the door for anyone else, but me, okay?"

Oriana's worried eyes cut to the side of my stomach, the concern I feel from her doesn't help at the moment. She gasps and tries to reach out for me in a whimper, I push her hand away and her teared up eyes meet my emotionless ones, "Eloisa, you're bleeding."

"No, it's not my blood," Hiding the pain behind a shake of the head, I can't admit it to them or myself. "Please hide and stay safe, okay?"

She reluctantly nods in concern, leaving one last lingering gaze on my stomach before locking the door after entering the bathroom. I place the phone against my ear again. Taking a deep breath and willing myself not to feel the pain in my stomach, "You there?"