CHAPTER 0•08

And the Winner is...

The group was practicing for their final match like always, using images of the Wolf-Bats as their targets and listening to the radio to help keep their mind off any fear they might have for losing the tournament. But Dawn was not going to allow it, she knew her team was going to win, they had the strength and courage for tonight and they were finally working as a team once again. So everything was going well, and once they stopped their training, Dawn felt arms wrapped around her waist and she giggled at Bolin who hugged her.

"Man, I got a good feeling about tonight! I don't care if we are the underdogs, we can take those pompous Wolf-Bats." Korra said while Dawn nods her head.

"It's going to be our toughest match ever, but I think you're right." Mako smiled.

"Introducing your new champs, the fantastic Fire Ferrets!" Bolin cheered in the announcers voice while Dawn laughed as she was picked up and placed on his shoulders.

"Calm down, Bolin. You guys haven't won yet." She teased and kissed the top of his head.

"Good morning, citizens of Republic City. This is Amon. I hope you all enjoyed last nights pro bending match, because it will be the last. It's time for this city to stop worshipping bending athletes as if they were heroes. I am calling on the council to shut down the bending arena and cancel finals or else..." he paused to be dramatic as Dawn frowned. "There will be severe consequences." He finished and the radio cut out to be static.

"That guy's got some nerve!" Bolin growled.

"You think the council will give in?" Mako asked and Dawn thought for a moment.

"You heard Amon, if we don't listen, there will be consequences. We don't want to cause innocent lives to be hurt or worse." She said while Bolin looked into her eyes and sighed.

"I'm not waiting to find out. We need to get to City Hall." Korra said as the group rushed that way.

They busted the door open and Tenzin stood up with his chair scraping the floor. "Korra and Dawn, you two shouldn't be here. This is a closed meeting." Tenzin explained.

Korra kept walking through the doors with the trio by her side. "As the Avatar, and a pro bending player, I have a right to be heard. You can't cancel the finals." Korra told them.

"I know winning the championship means a lot to you, but as far as I'm concerned we need to shut the arena down." Tenzin asked.

"What about the rest of you?" Korra asked, and Dawn frowned while looking to Tarrlok. "Tarrlok, there's no way your backing down from Amon, right?" She questioned the councilman.

"Actually, Tenzin and I agree, for once." Tarrlok explained while standing up as well.

"The council is unanimous- - we're closing the arena." Tenzin said while Dawn felt relief pass through her chest.

"No!" Mako whined.

"You can't." Bolin protested.

"I don't understand. I thought you of all people would take a stand against Amon." Korra said to Tarrlok.

"While I am still committed to bringing that lunatic to justice, I will not put innocent lives at stake just so you and your friend can play a game." Tarrlok said and Dawn looked at her group.