Chapter | 21

I reached for my phone, flicking through my playlists as I mulled over Tate's words in my head. I turned on $uicideboy$ and then watched him load another bowl.

"Why did you think that?" I asked. My eyes drifted to his mouth again, unable to help myself.

"The way you kiss." He said without a second thought, a smirk easing over his lips.

I had never seen this side of him. The playful Tate made my thoughts more dirty than normal. I blushed as his eyes flickered up to mine.

He passed me the bowl, "You even fuck with the same music as me."

I took a much needed hit, feeling anxious under his icy gaze. I held it in as I passed it back, feeling high enough to press him a bit to get to know him. "Do you live close to the school?"

He seemed to mull over his answer, tapping his fingers to the beat of the song. His gaze was focused on the passenger side mirror as he finally spoke. "I don't like to be at home. My foster family...." he trailed off.

I waited for him to continue but he didn't.

"What do you want to do after high school?" I decided to change the subject, not liking the vibe the previous answer created. He passed me the bowl, a more genuine smile on his face now.

"I want to be a mechanic, they make decent money. When I'm old enough, I'll be able to take care of my brother." His eyes seemed far away as he talked about the future. His answer made me think even more highly of him.

Come on now, Poppy. Stop simping, I told myself mentally.

"What about you, Poppy?" He turned to me, making me clear my throat.

I wanted to be as honest as he was being so I told him, " I never thought I'd make it to this age. I don't have any ambition or interests." I bit my lip, turning away to gaze outside. The breeze cooled my flushed face.

The seriousness of my answer nearly killed my high, but I resisted the urge to take another hit and passed it back.

I felt a cold hand rest over mine on the arm rest, turning my attention back to Tate.

"I'm glad you're still here." I wanted to call him corny, but the way he said it sounded so sincere.

I blushed hard, dropping my gaze to my lap.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm not supposed to be." I murmured.

"I can understand that." His thumb subconsciously brushed over my hand, but he was looking toward the window now.

It was silent for a while after that. I didn't mind.

It was a comfortable silence. I felt at ease here with him, alone and high. It was a sweet feeling to be heard and understood. It was so foreign to me.

I always considered myself misunderstood. No one wanted to talk to the shy, quiet girl. So I got used to not caring.

I looked at up at him with newfound appreciation. He hadn't been handsy with me, or fake interested in my life.

He seemed to genuinely want to understand me. Still though, past trauma had me questioning his intentions.

"What was your first impression of me?" I asked, tilting my head at him. I reached to roll up my window as a shiver travelled up my body.

He seemed to think about it for only a minute, a small smile appearing on his face. "Different."

He looked right at me then, "I told you that, silly." He gently reached up to pinch my cheek. "You're smart and pensive. You always look like you're thinking a million thoughts at once."

This didn't surprise me. How observant he was did, however.

He leaned forward in his seat, brushing his finger down my nose. "Your eyebrows are always worried looking. You got these angry eyes, like you hate the world. I had to talk to you."

My intense stare softened at that, and I couldn't help myself. I leaned forward to capture his lips with mine.

Maybe I'd fallen into a trap, maybe this is exactly what he'd wanted. He could be manipulating me....

But in the moment my mouth brushed his, I forgot about everything I should care about. My hands instinctively reached up to capture the collar of his jacket, prompting his to move up to my neck.

I felt my breath hitch in my throat as he deepened the kiss by flicking my tongue with his. Wickedly, his hand wrapped around my throat.

A little whimper I didn't register as myself, escaped my mouth. My skin felt electric under his.

I had to stop now, before I got too turned on to say no. I pulled away slowly, his hand dropping back down to his side.

I stared up into his eyes, my own hooded with want.

"You're naughty." He said with a smirk, shaking his head.

"Come home with me?"