Chapter 54 : The Hand Of God (Unedited)

Beatrice

My father, my father in law and Lord Friedrich sat around the table. I had called them all to this meeting. My blood ran cold and I felt nothing. The truth would disappoint them but the truth was the only way I was going to get my vengeance.

"I lied," I announced, holding close a wine glass to my lips. "My father has told you the lies that I told. Some of it was based on truth."

"What's the truth then, girl?" Lord Friedrich impatiently but back.

"The man in the story that my father told you was Hermann. I did not know this until the day before." I scoffed. "He had an air of authority, rebellious and seemed to answer to no one — I should have known who he was and as you said, I was stupid."

"Hermann..."Lord Friedrich spoke his name through his teeth. "How can you be so certain of what he looks like? That is the most protected secret of this nation."

"He killed your general himself and cut me loose to framed me. I don't know how but he watched them chase me and put an arrow into my leg. Then he pretended to help me. They had no idea he was there. He chose to follow me and I suppose that was his way of making sure that he got rid of me."

"There was a missing officer who my men found on the other side of the cave to where you said you came from."

"I didn't fall through a ditch. We entered that way. Karl..." I took a deep breath. "Hermann had gone out to find a way for us to get back to camp but we were surrounded. He had the king's army's uniform which enabled him to blend in without suspicious. He realised that we had been discovered by the officer and he killed him."

"Carry on," Lord Friedrich urged. "Omit nothing."

"I was injured. I couldn't move much. We walked for a day until we reached this wall of rocks."

"My man found it and thought a human being couldn't climb that high."

"He did." I nodded. "Then he pulled me over. We stayed for weeks. I had discovered that he was one of three people who could get near Hermann and I wanted to seduce...so I did."

"What do you mean by seduction?"

George's father and my father both looked down. "We do not have to hear it."

"What you told me to do," I said to Lord Friedrich. "I did it with him. I thought I could control him somehow."

"Can you?" He asked. "At this current moment, we have told the people that you have been abducted..."

"My Lord." My father cautioned.

"It's better if she knows why she can't be seen outside of this manor," Lord Friedrich uttered. "Will he come for you?"

"No." I answered. "He saw through my lies and knows just how much I hate him."

"We will have to see if I can force it out of him." Lord Friedrich said. "You were convinced you didn't know what Hermann looked like, how are you so sure?"

"He had orchestrated the perfect plan, I would have never known who he was. But we ran into his cousin, the duke, at a nearby parish. Their likeness is undeniable. Hermann couldn't lie out of that one."

"Where is he now?"

"I don't know. We ran into his sister..."

"Sister?" Lord Friedrich asked banging his hand on the table. "My niece?"

"Yes, he took her, sent me home and then he vanished."

He pushed his chair back fiercely and stood up. "I will figure out how you can be useful to me and then I will return."