dieci.

BLACK LACE
−−−−− DIECI ; MARRIED

"YOU'LL MAKE A GOOD WIFE LINA." Elena Lombardi says, locking eyes with Adelina through the mirror. The white mermaid-style wedding dress stuck to her body like a second skin before flaring out slightly above her knees. It flowed down, making her appear taller, the dress covered in intricate designs of flowers. The mesh sleeves had smaller forms of embroidery, going higher up to her neck, the mesh slowly dissolving into her skin, making the flowers appear like they were painted on.

Her luscious dark locks were twisted elegantly away from her face, sitting at a knot at the base of her skull. Her make-up was minimum, her natural beauty showing through, nothing hiding the sullen expression on her face.

When Adelina got home a few days ago, she looked in the mirror to find her neck covered in hickey's, an imprint of what happened at the club etched onto her body. Lucky for her, she covered it up in concealer, not wanting people to know the activities she'd been doing behind closed doors. It wasn't long before it faded, but it still didn't erase the feel of his hot mouth on her exposed skin.

"No, I'll make a good companion." Adelina murmured, turning around to face her mother, her feet carrying her to the other side of the room. There wasn't long before she would no longer be an unmarried woman, the thought made her want to rip the dress in shreds.

"Companion?" Her mother questions.

"I might be getting married, but I will not consider him as my husband." Adelina said, her mother's confused face flashing with an unknown emotion as she looked at her daughter. She was never happy with the arrangement, but there was nothing she could do. She loved her husband and going against his words would be murder.

"I'm so sorry-" Adelina cuts off her mother's apology, she was already stressed and the words coming out of her mother's mouth were nothing but lies. If she cared, she would've tried to change their mind, no matter the cost.

They'd stopped caring a long time ago, since both their kids had died. Maybe the pain that was etched onto their skin came in contact with their bleeding hearts, leaving them mourning the loss of their children. But there was no excuse in pushing your last daughter away, whatever they were doing was going to cost them.

"Don't, you've already done enough." Adelina stands in front of the floor-length mirror scanning her body. She had always been complimented on her looks since a young age and today wasn't any different. Her looks resemble a goddess, she knew that. But what was beauty without power?

"You look beautiful, you'll have him wrapped around your finger." Angelo Lombardi stands in front of his daughter, lowering the veil over her face. She was grateful for the barrier, it was thin but it was enough to shield her from the prying eyes of the crowd she would walk into.

Adelina didn't look at him, her gaze still on herself in the mirror. "Thank you, Father."

She was looking for a sign of weakness in herself, it was pathetic really. In the mafia, you learn how to become strong, the various forms of torture you would be forced to face was unreasonable. But they'd get used to it, everyone always does.

Angelo led Adelina towards the entrance giving a low command so the fabric would pull apart, opening them up to the crowd. Adelina's eyes were drawn to the end of the aisle, looking at the tall, dark figure covered in a coal-black suit with the black tie and white dress shirt. His groomsmen were dressed in gray dress shirts with a bow tie instead of ties.

Adelina's eyes were locked onto Lorenzo's, not once looking away as she stepped onto the altar. The ground was littered in blood red roses, the flowers a kind of beautiful where you felt threatened. Angelo Lombardi lifted Adelina's veil before handing her over to Lorenzo, his grey eyes boring into hers.