chapter 6

Even before we get to the station, the detective kept asking me questions.

"So, I heard that you called yourself class 1a's guardian. Can you explain what that means?"

"It's not exclusively class 1a. They just get in the most trouble, so I end up watching over them the most."

"So you...stalk them?"

"Why are you making me out for some creep? I just make sure they don't die. It's that simple."

"Haha, sorry about that. So how do you make sure they don't die?"

"I just distract villains for a second to let the students find an opening. I don't mess with fate. I just help a little here and there."

"Why do you help them?"

"Too many questions."

...

The rest of the ride was silent.

Eventually, All Might was taken to the hospital, and I was driven to a certain building.

That certain building was not a police station.

"Here we go," Tsukauchi heaves, opening my door to let me out.

I don't get out.

"I thought we were going to a police station."

"Ah, I changed my mind! We're gonna stop by here real quick," the detective smiles. 

Slowly getting out of the car, I stare at the U.A building. I've always looked at it from the sky, so I never realized how tall it actually is.

We walk through the halls and get to the office door. Tsukauchi knocks, and a small "come in" sounds from inside.

The detective and I are greeted by a surprised mouse.

"Well if it isn't Detective Tsukauchi," Nezu smiles. "And who is this?"

"This is (l/n) (y/n). I've come here to ask if you've ever seen them before," the policeman asks.

"Of course the principal hasn't," I answer, "I never showed myself."

"Yes, that is true. I'm not sure I've ever met dear (y/n)."

Nezu, who is with Aizawa and the class 1b's teacher, motions to the couches. All of us sit around the coffee table, and the detective explains my circumstances.

"I see," Nezu says as he sips his tea, "well this certainly is interesting. (y/n), would you mind telling us why you watch over our students? Though I'm very thankful that you do."

"...I don't know. It's my job. I'm just supposed to make sure the next generation of heroes makes it out alive."

I'm not going to tell them that I actually have no reason to, except the fact that it's a tradition in my family as repentance since our ancestor killed a bunch of people. 

"Thank you for your concern, but that's why there's us," Aizawa says, pointing to himself and the 1b homeroom teacher.

"But I'm stronger than you. Who do you think made sure you didn't get killed by that Noumu during U.S.J?" I counter, a little annoyed by his attitude.

The teacher widens his eyes but quickly narrows them.

"I barely made it out alive by my own strength."

"Yeah, I know. Again, I only make sure you guys don't die. I don't intervene too much. But if it weren't for me, your brain would have been destroyed."

Aizawa scoffs, completely hating my arrogant tone. He doesn't believe that I helped All Might out, and I just nonchalantly declared that I'm stronger than a pro. 

"Alright, alright. We're all a little stressed from the recent events. Everyone may go home. (y/n), are you willing to talk to me a little longer? Of course, you can take those handcuffs off now. I trust you."

Immediately following his words, I make the handcuffs unlatch themselves without a key. Everyone shows some sort of shock as I rub my wrists. No one gets up to leave.

"Ha...I knew you could do it but you made it seem so easy..." Tsukauchi sighs.

"Well of course it is. I only wore them because you told me to," I respond. "Now then, what would you like to talk about?"

"First of all, I must ask you. Were you sincerely watching over our students for good? And why?"

Frowning, I lean back on the couch and look around.

"...Since no one seems to understand, let me put it this way. I can easily kill everyone here without lifting up a finger."

At my words the whole room darkens and everyone gulps, somehow understanding that I'm not declaring that for exaggeration.

I proceed.

"But I'm not because it's a pain. And I'm not going to kill heroes. Does that answer your question? I would like to go home now."

"Wait, before you go, I would like to request something," Nezu smiles. I glance at him to show I'm listening.

"Would you like to live here?"

"Principal!" Aizawa shouts in disagreement. "We don't even know who they are. Letting in a stranger into the dorms-!"

"Dorms?"

"Yes, we are thinking about housing all our students on campus to prevent more accidents. It pains me to say that we have not been the best at keeping our students safe, so I thank you for all the small things you have done for us. And now, I am formally asking for you to continue doing so."

"...alright. I was going to stay anyway. But why do I have to be housed here? What do I get out of it?" I inquire.

"Well, is there anything you want?"

I remember the ice cream.

"...buy me an ice cream cone whenever I want."

"If that is what you wish for," Nezu beams, holding out a paw.

I take it.

--end of flashback--

And so here I am, standing in the class 1a dorm, meeting the students in person for the first time.

Is the ice cream worth it?

Yes. Yes it is.