Chapter 12: Revenge

The group of teenagers were frozen, they couldn't even blink. Regan was on her knees, screaming and sobbing as she mourned her brother. Colten was standing impatiently for someone to give him his winnings. Nate was the first one to recover. 

"Colten!" Nate yelled, "If you're so smug about a single win, then how about you fight me?"

"Huh, very well," Colten replied without hesitation, "If the child didn't get lucky in the first round, then I'm sure I would have beaten you." 

"Care to go first then?" Nate spat. 

"Gladly," Colten said smugly. "I'll start with a Dimir Guildgate and end my turn." The Dimir symbol appears above Colten with a 1 under it.

"I play a Golgari Guildgate and end my turn." Nate said, the Golgari symbol appearing. 

"Paying one of any, I play a gateway plaza and end my turn." Colton said.

"I play a forest, then for a green and one other I summon a kraul harpooner and end my turn." Nate called. the green orb flew into the ground and formed a large crack. hundreds of thousands of bugs scurried out of the fissure followed by the kraul. 

"For one black, I summon a barrier of bones." Colten said. the black orb floated forward and morphed into the Dimir symbol. The symbol began to shimmer and pulse as bones of all shapes and sizes rose out of the ground and fused together to form the skeletal wall. "Then, for one more black, I summon a hired poisoner." The black orb turned into a well dressed man, the man looked extremely wealthy and callus. Another man then seemed to materialize from the shadows, he didn't run , but he still advanced on the wealthy man. the two passed each other and the poisoner moved his arm closer to the man for a split second and kept walking. The wealthy man then clutched his heart and fell dead.  The poisoner then wiped off his knife and poured a vile of poison onto it. "I end my turn." 

"I play a forest, then for one black, I cast dead weight on your poisoner." Nate started. The black orb   grew into a large spiked mettle ball with four chains connected to it. On  the end of each chain was a singe shackle with spikes on the inside. Nate pointed to the poisoner, causing the ball and chain to fly towards it and knock it to the ground, locking onto its wrists and ankles. However, the impact of the ball caused the assassin to die.  "Then, I'll have my harpooner attack for three."

"My wall will block and die, but I take no damage." Colten grunted. 

"I end my turn." Nate concluded.

"I play a cinder barrens and end my turn." Colten said, gritting his teeth.

"I'll play a forest. Then for a black a green and two others, I summon a rhizome lurcher.." the black and green orb began to sprout mushrooms and moss which grew on top of itself until the fungus zombie was fully formed. "My harpooner will attack again."

"I can't defend." Colten said. The kraul leaped into the air and struck Colton with its spear and jumped back to Nate's side of the field. 20 to 17. 

"I end my turn." Nate concluded.

"For a black and two others, I cast soul salvage, returning barrier of bones and hired poisoner to my hand." Colton's hand was enveloped in a black aura as he took the two cards from his graveyard and back to his hand. "I end my turn."

"For a black, a green, and one other, I summon an erstwhile trooper." The black and green orb morphed into a bare skeleton. Moss and mushrooms then began to cover it until the zombie was fully formed. "Then I'll have my other two creatures attack for five and end my turn." 

"I can't block." Colton said. the kraul jumped into the air and readied its attack while the lurcher charged antlers first. 20 to 12. "I'll pay one of any to put another gateway plaza onto the field, then I will put my barrier of bones and hired poisoner back onto the field for one black each and end my turn." The wall and assassin repeated their summoning actions and stood ready.