Four Little Words

{Chapter Eleven}

"You've all received the official statement of what occurred at Stark Industries last night

"You've all received the official statement of what occurred at Stark Industries last night. There have been unconfirmed reports that a robotic prototype malfunctioned and caused damage to the arc reactor. Fortunately, a member of Tony Stark's personal security staff..." Rhodey spoke to a group of reporters. The day had been hectic. Everybody wanted to know what had happened and wouldn't stop until they figured it out.

Tony sat reading the newspaper, Iron Man being the front page, as his assistant cleared his face of bandaids. Abby stood beside him bored out of her mind.

"Iron Man, that's kinda catchy. It's got a nice ring to it. I mean, it's not technically accurate. The suit's a gold-titanium alloy, but it's kinda evocative, the imagery, anyway." Tony spoke as he flipped through the pages.

"Here's your alibi." Phil Coulson said as he approached the man handing him blue reference cards, "You were on your yacht. We have port papers that put you in Avalon all night and sworn statements from 50 of your guests."

"See, I was thinking maybe we should say it was just Pepper and me alone on the island." The man smirked, flinching slightly as Pepper ripped off the last bandaid on his nose.

"What about me?" Abby frowned looking up at her father.

"You were too busy packing for Florida." Tony shrugged.

"Florida?"

"Yeah, I thought we could go to Disney World for your Birthday," Tony told her causing a large smile to appear on the young girls' face.

"That's what happened." Coulson interrupted, "Just read it word for word."

"There's nothing about Stane here." Tony realized as he skimmed the cards.

"That's being handled. He's on vacation. Small aircraft have such a small safety record." The agent explained.

"But what about the whole cover story that it's my bodyguard? That's kind of flimsy, don't you think?"

"This isn't my first rodeo, Mister Stark. Just stick to the official statement, and soon, this will all be behind you. You've got ninety seconds." Coulson smiled politely before turning to leave. Pepper followed after the agent leaving Tony alone with his daughter.

"You okay, munchkin?" Tony asked grabbing Abby's arm and pulling her towards him. Abby nodded keeping silent. Tony knew that the events of the previous night had shaken her up. He picked the small girl up and placed her on his lap as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad you okay, Dad." Abby smiled softly.

"Me too, kiddo. You are the best thing that ever happened to me." Tony whispered as he pressed his lips to the side of the girl's head.

"I love you, daddy."

"I love you too, baby."

Abby wrapped her arms around her father, burying her head into the crook of his neck. The two sat there until Pepper returned.

"Let's get this show on the road." Pepper smiled.

"You know it's actually not that bad. Even I don't think I'm Iron Man." Tony spoke as he stood in front of the woman.

"Your not Iron Man," Pepper told him.

"Am so."

"You're not."

"Alright suit yourself. You know, if I were Iron man, I'd have this girlfriend who knew my true identity. She'd be a wreck, 'cause she'd always be worrying that I was going to die, yet so proud of the man I'd become. She'd be wildly conflicted which would only make her more... crazy about me." Tony said causing both Abby and Pepper to roll their eyes, "Tell me you never think about that night."

"What night?" Pepper asked not meeting his eyes.

"You know."

"Are you talking about the night we danced and went up on the roof, and then you went downstairs to get me a drink, and you left me there by myself? Is that the night you're talking about?" Pepper wondered.

"Mmm-hmm," Tony replied awkwardly causing Abby to cringe slightly.

"Thought so." Pepper nodded."Will that be all, Mister Stark?"

"Yes, that will be all, Miss Potts."

Abby followed Pepper to the back of the press conference while her father moved to stand behind the podium.

"And now, Mister Stark had prepared a statement. He will not be taking any questions. Thank you." Rhodey spoke as Tony approached the podium.

"Been a while since I was in front of you. I figure I'll stick to the cards this time. There's been speculation that I was involved in the events the occurred on the freeway and the rooftop..."

Tony was interrupted by the blonde reporter, Christine Everheart, causing Abby to roll her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Mister Stark, but do you honestly expect us to believe that that was a bodyguard in a suit that conveniently appeared, despite the fact that you..."

"I know that it's confusing." Tony interrupted the woman, "It is one thing to question the official story it is another thing entirely to make wild accusations, or insinuate, that I'm a superhero."

"I never said you were a superhero," Everheart assured him.

"Well, good, because that would be outlandish and fantastic. I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list of character defects, all the mistakes I make. Largely, in public." Rhodey leaned in to speak to Tony.

"Just stick to the cards." Tony nodded before looking back at the cards.

"The truth is..." Tony hesitated slightly before looking up and making eye contact with his daughter. Abby smiled at him.

"I am Iron Man."