v. charity and pride

February 1, 1519 

I was alone. A dark room surrounded me, a slight chill blowing through it. Only one small candle was there to illuminate the room, but it shone brightly and burned valiantly. I pulled by knees to my chest, feeling small and pitiful. The air was extensive and I began to feel like it would never end. Around me, people's familiar voices echoed, all overlapping and creating a horrible, choking feeling in my throat.. The most prominent voice, however, was my own. 

"Please," my voice rang, full of desperation and grief, "Please, Henry. For the love you bear our children, for the love you bear Katherine and Anne! Please, have mercy."

"No!" Henry's voice replied, a booming certainty filled with resentment and grief echoing, "You've lied to me all these years. You weren't what you seemed."

"No... no. No, I loved you!" I called out, "And I love you still. Please, Henry! After everything we were, please! Give me one more chance." My cries were met with a resounding silence. "Your Majesty, I beseech you! Have mercy-"

Silence. Then, the voices resumed. Clearly, the situation they stemmed from had changed, but it was still my voice, and a man's. 

"I am the king's true wife. You know that, don't you?" I pleaded, my voice much lighter than before, "You have to help him see the truth."

"I cannot do that, Your Majesty," the man replied, "Only you can convince him to see the truth."

I put my hands to my ears, wishing the words would just disappear. I hated the awful ringing they created, and the sinking feeling in my stomach. 

"Your Majesty?" a new voice chimed. "Your Majesty!

__

"Your Majesty!" a girl said urgently, "Oh, my lady! Are you alright?"

My eyes fluttered open, the unwelcome light pouring in fervently. Clara hovered over me, her expression depicting deep concern, and my other ladies were crowded around my bed. Even Isabell, I noted. She looked at me, the guilt swimming in her charming blue eyes. She was unaware that I knew of her affair, and I intended to keep it that way for the time being. 

"It was only a bad dream, Clara," I replied, "I'm fine, truly."

"Are you sure? You were rambling on and on," she pressed, "Something about His Majesty, I think."

"You are mistaken," I assured her, "We have more pressing matters ahead, anyway. The masque is tonight, and we must ready ourselves. Come now, this evening is sure to be a joyous one."

__

I was dressed from head to toe in a simple cream color. The gown was airy and light, much more breathable than the others I usually wore. The squarish neckline had little pearls sewn on it, which was my favorite part, and the skirts fell in beautiful, cascading waves of silk down to the floor. "Charity" was written in glittering gold letters across the sash I wore. The mask fit snugly on my face, covering the skin around my eyes and nose so that I was less recognizable. It was a lovely ensemble, no doubt arranged by Charles Brandon's wife, Mary, rather than him. Knowing him, he'd rather see women dance naked than covered in the beautiful fabrics that had been chosen for these gowns. Quite disappointing, I though, as the gowns were gorgeous. 

The pageant was an extravagant event. Seven virtues, the women, and seven deadly sins, the men, stood in horizontal lines opposite of each other. Each person, clothed in rich, fashionable costumes that resembled mine, chose a masked partner. At the end of the dancing, the mask was removed and the identity of the person was revealed. Even with masks on, Henry and I spotted each other right away. He represented Pride, and I could hardly contain a giggle at the irony. He was easily the most prideful man in the whole kingdom. It was incredibly fitting. I considered, for a brief moment, choosing someone else just to spite him-all in good humor, of course-but decided against it. His good spirits were too precious to risk. Dancing with Henry was the best and only option for me. After all, I had to avoid him dancing with his new, not-so-secret mistress. So, I strode over to Henry, watching Isabell with careful eyes as she selected her own partner. She was fashioned as Diligence of all things.