Chapter One

The rhythmic beeping has become a constant white noise that she hardly even recognizes anymore, but she knows the minute it stops, she will notice in a heartbeat and her world will flip upside down. Her mother's faint whispers are what really are grating on her nerves though, but she doesn't say a word, because it's all the older woman has right now.

She watches in complete concentration as her mother's fingers glide across the tiny beads in her hands. Her body never seeming so small and so frail as she hovers near her sister's bed, pleading with the man above to save her daughter's life.

And it takes everything in Zelena to keep her mouth shut. Yes, she and her sister were raised strict Catholics, how could they not be with a Puerto Rican father and a Sicilian mother? Regina was always the more compliant of the two, never really questioned the religion and attended mass without a complaint, but Zelena has had her doubts. Always pushed against the rules and the laws of religion, maybe that has to do with her own past. But, some things just didn't add up in her mind, because there were times she thought the rules contradicted themselves.

Yet, she still believed in some higher power.

And today, well, these past few days, she has surrendered to her family's beliefs and completely succumbed to the religion. She would never forgive herself if she didn't try everything in her power to save her baby sister's life.

Her crystal blue eyes are intently observing as her mother's finger slides to the last bead on the Rosary and she is already shifting forward in her seat, knowing she couldn't interrupt the prayer before. When the quietest of whispers silences from her mother's mouth, she opens hers.

"Mom, why don't you stretch your legs a little bit? Maybe go down to the cafeteria and have some tea. I'm sure dad could use some company," she meekly suggests, hoping her mother will take the bait because she swears the older woman's body is starting to curl in on itself from the amount of hours she has been rooted to that hospital chair, praying over her daughter's bed.

Besides, her father could use the company. He refuses to leave the hospital, but he also refuses to enter Regina's room. He's too strong and proud of a man to show off his tears, well, that's at least what Zelena tells herself because she cannot stomach the thought of her father being so utterly heartbroken.

"I'm fine, my dear," her mother claims, but the rough, scratchy tone in her voice tells a completely different story.

"No, mother, you're not fine," Zelena firmly declares, gliding forward in her seat and leaning further into Regina's bed to stare down the stubborn old woman. "You are going to make yourself sick and you won't be any use to Regina if she-"

"When, she wakes up," Cora strictly corrects, narrowing her eyes and easily snapping Zelena's mouth into submission.

"When she wakes up," she repeats, but her tone is flat and they both know her willpower to stay positive is slowly starting to fade.

Because the fact of the matter is, Regina has been lying there, lifeless, in a coma, for three days now and with each day that passes, her optimism fades and horrific images of a bleak future haunt her.

"Mom, please, go get some tea. I will be right here by her side. I won't leave her and I promise I will call you if something changes."

"I-"

"Go, mother," she firmly orders, leaving no room for argument and maybe Cora is simply exhausted and she can't truly think for herself anymore, because she does lift her bottom.

Zelena watches as Cora runs her fingertips down the left side of Regina's hairline, like she's attempting to make her more presentable, but avoiding the bandage covering most of Regina's right side. She smiles softly down upon her baby, her eyes misting as she leans forward and presses a gentle kiss to her left cheek, despite all the little scrapes marring Regina's face. Especially that one upon her lip that is so deep Zelena flinches every time she catches a glimpse of it.