Chapter 16: Reality

A/N: ...I may or may not have teared up while writing this chapter. This was one of the most difficult ones for me to write so far. Even if it gets emotional, I hope you'll still enjoy!

-KittCat

Keene paced back and forth in the infirmary as Darren nervously bounced his foot under his desk. 

They had left the authorities to talk to the kids after being asked to speak to them privately. Keene felt uneasy about leaving the kids there unsupervised, but he trusted the three adults to behave themselves.

But right now, he had other things to worry about, terrified of how they could possibly handle this.

Currently, him, Darren and a few other teachers were in the room, but even they weren't fairing much better.

Though, how were they supposed to feel right now?

A student was missing for crying out loud! 

He's been missing for over a week now and they had only just found out about it. Things were falling further and further apart by the minute.

John had disappeared, the school caught on fire, and the headmaster was currently in the hospital in a temporary coma. Everyone was frazzled and had no idea what to do.

Keene had already called the authorities to put out a missing persons report. They would be by later on in the week to question people and start an official investigation. 

Doc called the other teachers in to let them know about the situation before him and Keene called John's dad. 

They didn't want to break the news to him over the phone so they asked him to come here. Supposedly he would be arriving today.

Only one thought was on all the teachers minds as they either sat or paced; How would they tell him?

While Doc and Keene weren't parents, a few of the teachers in the room were. They couldn't even begin to comprehend how they would react to being told their child was missing only a week after a major accident. It was terrifying just thinking about the possibility. But to actually see this occurring in front of their own eyes...?

All the teachers could do for now was try to keep their students calm. Word had already started floating around that Wellston's king, their rank 1 student, was missing, having noticed the ravenette's prolonged absence.

Some passed it off as a joke, others only briefly talked about it. A few even said it was just odd timing, that they shouldn't become so paranoid.

But for the staff and the ex-royals, they knew all too well just how dangerous this situation had become and feared what would happen to John.

They knew that John didn't just wander off and get lost. He's been missing ever since the accident. They ALL knew that with everything that's been occurring over the past few months, both in the school and out, John's disappearance was anything but a coincidence. 

They don't know what Vaughn could have possibly done to the teen if he was the one involved, but it wasn't anything good. 

The main question was; where could John have been taken to? He could be halfway across the country by now and they would have no idea.

They needed clues and fast. They needed to talk to Vaughn but the man was comatose until he was fully healed. So with him out of the way, who and where would they look to for answers?

For now though, it would be a question that would remain unanswered.

Keene ceased his pacing and all the teachers visibly tensed as the man uttered the words they've all been dreading. "He's here...I'll be right back."